The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Copy/Paste from Illustrator CS5 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ever since I updated to Adobe CS5, copy/pasting graphics from Illustrator into OmniGraffle has resulted in jagged-edges (see IllustratorCS5.jpg vs OmniGraffle.jpg). I didn't have this problem at all using Illustrator CS3 and the workflow between illustrating graphics and copy/pasting them into Graffle has become a staple. What changed? I'll be hitting up the Adobe-forums as well...

Update:
Copy/Pasting from Illustrator CS5 into Apple Keynote works without jagged-edges. Creating a new Preview document from the clipboard works as well.

Thanks,
--David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IllustratorCS5.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1466   Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniGraffle.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1467  

Last edited by bizarobot; 2010-06-29 at 05:33 AM..

David, I'm not sure what would cause this, but there are other folks here with stronger Graffle-Fu than I possess, and I haven't used Illustrator in years.

We collectively browse the forums as we're able, but if you email the support ninjas you're guaranteed a response from one of those folks I referred to above. :-)

Thanks Brian, I'll check with the ninjas. (with their lasers, gold...) :-P

Has there been a solution for this problem?
I have exactly the same experience with copying from Illustrator CS5.
Thanks.

Copying vectors from Illustrator CS5 into OmniGraffle still results in jagged, unusable images. This wasn't a problem with Illustrator CS4.

This is a significant hit for me - Illustrator is a big part of my workflow. Any plans to look into the issue? Doesn't look like it's been addressed in a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCE View Post
Copying vectors from Illustrator CS5 into OmniGraffle still results in jagged, unusable images. This wasn't a problem with Illustrator CS4.

This is a significant hit for me - Illustrator is a big part of my workflow. Any plans to look into the issue? Doesn't look like it's been addressed in a couple years.
Illustrator can still be part of your workflow -- you have to save your image as a PDF. Unfortunately that adds a few additional steps but the vector information stays intact.

Just as an FYI, a lot of what Illustrator puts on the pasteboard relies on very old QuickDraw and Pict stuff, which has been deprecated.

Some quick testing shows that much better results are yielded by a drag & drop from Illustrator to OmniGraffle, particularly from CS6.

Hey there,

Anyone else have problems copying and pasting objects from Illustrator CS5 into Omnigraffle since upgrading to Pro v5.4? I use Illustrator all the time for pulling icons into Omnigraffle. Now, whenever I grab an object in Illustrator, copy and paste into Omnigraffle, I'm just getting an empty shape with an image - expect the image isn't there.

I've tried restarting, tried dragging the image from the empty shape that it pastes into Omnigraffle as in to another shape to see if the image will appear, but all to no avail.

This is really killing my work flow... there are great stencils out there for Omnigraffle, but there's no replacing Illustrator for creating more complex shapes and icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattxr1 View Post
Hey there,

Anyone else have problems copying and pasting objects from Illustrator CS5 into Omnigraffle since upgrading to Pro v5.4? I use Illustrator all the time for pulling icons into Omnigraffle. Now, whenever I grab an object in Illustrator, copy and paste into Omnigraffle, I'm just getting an empty shape with an image - expect the image isn't there.

I've tried restarting, tried dragging the image from the empty shape that it pastes into Omnigraffle as in to another shape to see if the image will appear, but all to no avail.

This is really killing my work flow... there are great stencils out there for Omnigraffle, but there's no replacing Illustrator for creating more complex shapes and icons.
You can drag from Illustrator to OmniGraffle and it will bring over your shapes intact. It's crazy that you can't copy and paste - did this work before? You can still copy and paste from Illustrator CS5/6 to Keynote and it works just fine.