The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New app on the block: "Flow" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anyone heard of Flow?

It's a slick-looking combination of web, mac and iOS apps that does task management with delegation.

The downside is the (subscription-based) price, lack of full context support (although you could emulate it with tags), and the Mac app is data entry only I believe (you use the web or iOS apps to manage tasks). However, the multi-user component to the system looks absolutely amazing.

I know Omni mentioned in the past they were considering working on delegation with the 2.0 releases of OmniPlan and OmniFocus. Anyone from Omni care to comment on how similar your plans are to what Flow does? (Bonus points if you have some kind of web app, for delegating to Windows users.)

To the rest of you, what do you think? Care to reassure me about how OmniFocus is better?

Amorya

It would be a great addition to OF. Would be interesting to hear Omni's position on this regard...

After going through a little more I have to say wow... this kind of delegation | group functionality would be really good for my work environment. Really sweet!

I like the power of OF, but I've struggled with its Mac user interface and all that power comes with a complexity that makes it difficult for me to use. On the other hand Things has a great look, is easy to use, but limited in functionality and the product development is static. I've gone back and forth between the two for awhile now, being never quite satisfied with either.

Then I looked at Flow. Flow has the look and feel of Things with the ability to delegate and track tasks to team mates. It lacks some basics, like recurring tasks, but from what I can tell all this functionality is planned soon for future releases.

It's expensive relative to OF and Things, but the multiuser functionality makes it worth it for my organization. For now, it's our "to-do" app of choice, but I won't hesitate to re-look at OF (or Things) as they improve their product.

The competition between these three apps is going to be of great benefit to us users.

The hard part about a multi-user environment with OmniFocus is that your co-workers/company has to buy into the GTD concept in the first place!

Some folks may just consider it a major annoyance to have to work in a GTD workflow while others may consider it a Godsend!

Flow is fantastic. It's fast and elegant, has a smart UI.

It's going to do very well. The collaboration features aren't something I need but I do love their implementation of tags. I've been feeling more and more limited by OmniFocus's literal Contexts as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorya View Post
Anyone heard of Flow?

It's a slick-looking combination of web, mac and iOS apps that does task management with delegation.

The downside is the (subscription-based) price, lack of full context support (although you could emulate it with tags), and the Mac app is data entry only I believe (you use the web or iOS apps to manage tasks). However, the multi-user component to the system looks absolutely amazing.

I know Omni mentioned in the past they were considering working on delegation with the 2.0 releases of OmniPlan and OmniFocus. Anyone from Omni care to comment on how similar your plans are to what Flow does? (Bonus points if you have some kind of web app, for delegating to Windows users.)

To the rest of you, what do you think? Care to reassure me about how OmniFocus is better?

Amorya
Came across 42tasks (http://42tasks.com) which has a web app, iPhone app, soon to be desktop apps and supports collaboration....and it's free...for now. This will seriously give both Omni and Things (and a load of others) a run for their money. It isn't really aimed at people who follow GTD, but still looks interesting. This whole productivity sector is hotting up with more companies offering various solutions. I love seeing the differing takes on task/todo management, unfortunately it ends up costing me money, and always tend to return to Omnifocus!

42Tasks is free, but very poor, at least for now in features.
Flow in other hand is very polished and very expensive, it is not a solution for me.
I'm waiting for Things on maybe omnigroup to implement this sort of collaboration scheme on their products.