The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New User -difficulty clicking a link Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just started with Omniweb yesterday, and generally delighted. Today I got a forum text message in email that contained a link.

When I clicked on it, I expected the browser to open a new tab and then open this page therein. But instead, it displayed another tab I had used before, with the same old contents, and did nothing related to the new link.

I pasted the link into an empty new tab and got the kayaking page it referred to.

What gives? I do have my prefs set to open a new tab for all new links that are clicked.

Can you give us the page and tell us which link it is?

pasted from Gmail:

WSK Forum to me
show details 11:24 AM (8 hours ago)
------------------------------------------------------------
Western Sea Kayakers Discussion Board: Kayaking-related Forum: Kayak sale!!!
------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Michael Edwards (Michaele) on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:59 am:

Just received this advertisement, and wanted to pass this new kayak
sale on to those of you who may be considering a new kayak. Just
follow the link below. All sorts of brands are available on sale with
shipping available, no tax.
Regards,
Mike Edwards

http://mountainmanoutdoors.com/Canoe...5/Default.aspx

Now, when I click a link on a web page, the last tab in my list is opened, but nothing happens related to the link I clicked. I have to open a new tab and paste the link there in order to make the link work. This has been enough of a defect to send me back to Safari, on which I am reading this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg3590 View Post
Just started with Omniweb yesterday, and generally delighted. Today I got a forum text message in email that contained a link.

When I clicked on it, I expected the browser to open a new tab and then open this page therein. But instead, it displayed another tab I had used before, with the same old contents, and did nothing related to the new link.

I pasted the link into an empty new tab and got the kayaking page it referred to.

What gives? I do have my prefs set to open a new tab for all new links that are clicked.
Well, there are links that are shown in OmniWeb, and there are links that are shown elsewhere and opened with OmniWeb (if you have it set to be your default browser). It sounds like you may have set the preference for opening links shown in OmniWeb, but not the one right above it that controls the behavior of links from other applications.

Thanks. I revisited my preferences and did as you advised and the problem seems to have gone away. Back to omniweb!

Glad to hear it!

I get a Gmail message from 21st Century Insurance, and it has a button labeled 'Log In'. What I expected when I clicked that button was that a new tab would be opened with the company's login page displayed.

Now, before I clicked, I was in a workspace called Bob with three tabs open: Gmail, a photography blog, and My Yahoo. The tab panel was open on the left and I was in the Gmail tab. When I clicked, I was in the My Yahoo tab!

In my preferences for tab and windows I have links from other apps opening a new tab, and also 'links to other sites' opening a new tab.

Can anyone explain this?