The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can my spouse and me utilize Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to OmniFocus and before I jump in with both feet I have a question. My wife and I both are working professionals, we each have our own macs and iPhones. How can this application be utilized to allow us to assign tasks to one another. Here is what I am thinking.....I have an errand that is located at target. My wife happens to be at Target I want her to see that I have something and pick it up for me. I am sure some would say she could call me on the iPhone but there are other items that come to mind as well then just an errand to target. I also like the idea of having separate databases but I am ok if I have to have one and sync.

Has anyone implemented a spouse setup with two different machines before?
How did you do it?

Supporting workflows like this is something we're definitely interested in working on in future versions of the application. The simplest/easiest thing to do at the moment, though, is probably for you both to set up OmniFocus' mail preferences.

Once you do that, you and your wife can send specially-formatted emails to each other; OmniFocus will know how to interpret the mails and use the info to set up new tasks in the inbox for you.

Take a look at the "Processing Mail Messages into Actions" topic under the help menu to get started; if you have any questions, mail the support ninjas omnifocus@omnigroup.com and you're guaranteed to get a response. (We browse the forums as we're able, but I'm away from the office and will have spotty email access for the next couple of days.)

What Brian said, but you can also do some playing and testing with contexts and see if that could work for you. Say, under the context view, under the *people* you can add a sub-context ... something like *do4him* and *do4her*, and then when you see that she's planning to go to Target, you could add an action under *do4him*: Pick up a coffee maker while in Target. Or she can put an item *do4her* for you to do it.

The other thing worth exploring is the sub-action use in your situation. Say you see that she is planning to go to Target. You could add a sub-action to her action item:
*Shopping at Target*
- Birthday present for Joe
- Return defective toaster
- *add you item* "Pick up a coffee maker"

Would be nice if OF could email a task with a few clicks. (from the iPhone, too, so integral, not Applescript)

I will have a look at those suggestions and test each one out.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Would be nice if OF could email a task with a few clicks. (from the iPhone, too, so integral, not Applescript)
I second that. When I first came upon this thread I thought, WOW, that would really help. I could enter a task in OF and mail it to my wife. Unfortunately, it seems like there's no way to go from OF to Mail, and ultimately, back again.

Please consider adding that ability. Otherwise, the email support it almost seems like a half implemented feature.

I'm trying to find a solution to the same problem.

Is it possible to synchronize two iPhones to the same database? Is it possible to have multiple databases on the same iPhone and choose among them? I can't find an answer via Google or the manual.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneubauer View Post
Is it possible to synchronize two iPhones to the same database?
Yes, that's a supported configuration. All clients syncing with a given database get the whole database; there's no way to say "these projects over here don't get synced to that iPhone (or desktop) over there".

Quote:
Is it possible to have multiple databases on the same iPhone and choose among them?
No, not in any convenient fashion. If you're really desperate, you could switch to a different database (hosted in a different place), work in that for a while, sync your changes back, switch back to the first one, etc. but you would spend a lot of time reloading the databases, I suspect!

To make an official feature request, send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com or use the Help->Send Feedback command in the desktop program.