The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dot not accepted as the separator in short date format regardless of system settings? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Let's say that I'm trying to enter the date "August 21st 2012" in OmniFocus. In my country we would enter the date as 21.8.2012 or 21.8.12.

My problem is that OmniFocus only understands the date if it is entered as 21.8.2012, it doesn't recognize the short format 21.8.12. It does, however, recognize the short format if it is entered with slashes rather than dots as the date separators (as in 21/8/12 or even just 21/8). I have checked repeatedly that my long and short date format is 21.8.12 in System Preferences.

It's not a big deal but I wanted to ask in case there was an easy way to fix the issue.

Given that there are nearly 200 countries on the planet, don't you think you'd at least slightly enhance the likelihood of getting your problem solved if you mentioned which country, and what system settings you've tried? Making it as easy as possible for the person who is investigating your problem to reproduce it is almost always in your best interest. Your problem is more likely to be worked on immediately, and there's less risk of having some similar problem confused with your problem. There are few things more disheartening than reading in the release notes that "your" problem has been fixed, only to discover that a problem that looked just like "your" problem has been fixed, but yours remains!

Now that you mention it, I very much agree that further details would facilitate problem solving. The settings are listed below.

Preferred language in "Language & Text system settings: English
Region: Custom (modified from the default settings for Finnish -> Finland)
Short format e.g. for August 21st 2012: 21.8.12
Medium format e.g. for August 21st 2012: 21.8.12

The only custom modification I made was to change the year format from "2012" to "12".

Further details in the form of screenshots can be found in this PDF file. "Tammikuu" means January in the screenshots.

Thanks for the detailed write-up. We had a similar report with dashes, so we'll look into these.