The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Is it possible to link to a file within a context? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like to link some of my projects to FreeMind MindMaps with structured information regarding to the project.

As I have OF contexts for my regular meetings I really would like to generate a link between the context and my meeting MindMap. The obvious way to edit the note an insert a link does not work with context.

Is there any workaround?
Are there plans to extend the context with notes?

Last edited by future_gtd; 2009-06-22 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Thread Subscription changed

Contexts don't currently have notes. You can use Help --> Send Feedback to submit feature requests. Do you have suggestions as to where the note associated with a context would appear in the UI?

Curt

You could write a script that would open a mindmap file associated with the current context, creating it if necessary.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-06-23 at 08:46 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_gtd View Post
I like to link some of my projects to FreeMind MindMaps with structured information regarding to the project.

As I have OF contexts for my regular meetings I really would like to generate a link between the context and my meeting MindMap. The obvious way to edit the note an insert a link does not work with context.

Is there any workaround?
I have made an edit to one of jharrison's excellent scripts, which may provide an interim solution.

If you install the edited script on the OF toolbar (See FAQ for script installation), clicking the script icon when a context is selected will allow you to open a special Finder folder for that context (the script will create the folder if it does not yet exist).

You could keep the mindmap for a particular context in its matching folder, and use the script to jump from the selected context to the relevant folder.

RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Do you have suggestions as to where the note associated with a context would appear in the UI?
Maybe a notes icon could appear at the right end of the context rows that are displayed in the main outline when grouped by context? That's where I was imagining Omni might be able to add notes for folders as well (i.e. in the folder rows when grouped by folder in planning mode).

Of course, because these note icons would only be visible under certain conditions, the feature might not be very discoverable. So this might not be the best solution.

-Dennis