The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
a data point which may be relevant to this discussion. According to the study, ios represents 82.7% of mobile app sales revenue. Android represents 4.7%.
oh come on. Just give it away on android but make money via in-app add sales.

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrademacher View Post
One more Macbook Pro user that will not switch to iPhone. Aside from me personally wanting OF for android... how could it possibly make sense to ignore android from a business standpoint?
I know there are many folks that don't love the iPhone and love their current smartphone or looking to buy a different iPhone shouldn't have to worry about waiting for OmniFocus for Android.

One way to get around that is to just buy the cheapest iPod touch or an iPad. This will give you the capability of using OmniFocus anywhere.

Now I can imagine that my suggestion will cause a S**T storm and cause angst and grief from many folks about having to carry yet another gadget on them.

But an iPod touch is so small. It can fit in your shirt pocket or pants pocket easily without you even noticing.

I carry a separate digital camera even though my cellphone has a decent camera on it. I also carry my iPod touch because I'm not interested in an iPhone either.

The iPod touch was created for folks who don't want to buy a cellphone/data plan with an iPhone.

I also carry my iPad in a messenger bag. It's just so slim that it doesn't even bother me.

Besides, you can also take advantage of the app store and get free apps as well as many very affordable apps to go along with OmniFocus. Your iPod touch or iPad will become an awesome multi-functional device.

My iPod touch and iPad are probably the best investment I ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post

I carry a separate digital camera even though my cellphone has a decent camera on it. I also carry my iPod touch because I'm not interested in an iPhone either.

The iPod touch was created for folks who don't want to buy a cellphone/data plan with an iPhone.

I also carry my iPad in a messenger bag. It's just so slim that it doesn't even bother me.

Besides, you can also take advantage of the app store and get free apps as well as many very affordable apps to go along with OmniFocus. Your iPod touch or iPad will become an awesome multi-functional device.

My iPod touch and iPad are probably the best investment I ever made.
I do have an ipod touch and that was my solution so far but I wanted to minimize the number of devices I have to carry with me (notebook, ipad, ipod touch telephone, what else?....) The camera comparison is bogus. I carry a camera because it takes good pictures. Not just any pictures. So Notebook + smartphone is a good combination, in my opinion, besides it reduces the number of cables and chargers I need to carry: laptop charger + one microUSB which works both for the smartphone and for the backup HD ;).

I doubt that making an equivalent for android of the ipod version of omnifocus is so hard. Even a more primitive version would be welcome for that matters: an inbox and an errands context would already be great (anywhere else I can --almost-- safely assume I have my mac available) so I can drop smth on the inbox in case it comes to my mind and I can check the errand list when I am off to something.

Last edited by il_freddy; 2011-03-04 at 04:41 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_freddy View Post
I doubt that making an equivalent for android of the ipod version of omnifocus is so hard.
That's an interesting claim. Let's assume it is true. Why, if it is relatively easy to replicate the whole app as it stands now for Android, was it so much work to build for iOS? Why also, if it is relatively easy to build the whole app for a new environment, does it take the good folks at Omni so much longer to deliver new features of a rather smaller scale in its native environment compared to building the whole app again in another? If the reason why it would be easy to build an Android version is that programming for Android is significantly easier, shouldn't there be a lot more ports of iPad and iPhone apps to Android? How do you reconcile those apparent conflicts?

Quote:
I doubt that making an equivalent for android of the ipod version of omnifocus is so hard. Even a more primitive version would be welcome for that matters: an inbox and an errands context would already be great (anywhere else I can --almost-- safely assume I have my mac available) so I can drop smth on the inbox in case it comes to my mind and I can check the errand list when I am off to something.
Fwiw, the email method that already exists in OmniFocus can be used to put something into your inbox (and to assign contexts etc. if you want to delve into the syntax) in the absence of OmniFocus on your device. This is how I started out with OmniFocus when I only had a dumbphone.

Quote:
The camera comparison is bogus. I carry a camera because it takes good pictures. Not just any pictures
A camera will make life easier to shoot pictures. But it doesn't make someone a better photographer.

Note the number of contests for people who are using iPhones to shoot photos.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I also would like to shoot with my camera but I also shoot from my iPod touch just because it's more convenient. I'll also use it to shoot when I want to send it to Facebook (which doesn't require 10 megapixels).

A good photographer will take whatever camera is at hand and work within the limits of the camera. More megapixels and more features doesn't necessarily make better photos. It just makes it easier to shoot good pictures or crappy pictures.

Once, I asked a photographer what camera I should buy. He just told me something that stuck with me:

"The best camera that you can shoot with is the one that you have in your hand when that Kodak moment happens..."

Work within the limits of your equipment and you can achieve amazing results.

So I'll have to politely decline the "camera comparison is bogus" opinion.

One reason I switched to the mac is because of the wonderful software developers that developed only for the mac. I'll support whatever omnigroup decides, but I do love the fact that their mac only right now, and would love to see it stay that way.

Quote:
Once, I asked a photographer what camera I should buy. He just told me something that stuck with me:

"The best camera that you can shoot with is the one that you have in your hand when that Kodak moment happens..."
Oh come on now. That answer (the best camera is the one you're carrying) is a cliche spouted off everywhere. That's like giving someone credit for saying 'the early bird gets the worm'.

But what makes it worse is it doesn't answer your questions at all. The answer has nothing to do with what camera you can buy, where, at that point, you could buy ANY camera.

Strange story.

What I didn't explain was the context....

I already had a pretty good camera but I was wondering whether I should upgrade. My friend looked at me and he knows me pretty well. He realizes that I won't be utilizing a lot of the fancy-dancy features like tethering and other advanced stuff. I said I was comfortable with my camera but always wondering whether I should upgrade to a new one.

He basically queried me about my photographing needs to determine my needs. He came to the conclusion that I don't really need a brand spanking new one.

It's the same idea that flashes into many folks heads when they hear about the new iPad or the new Mac. "Gosh, this year's model has feature X, Y, Z that my current Mac/iDevice which is only one year old don't have. But as much as I really want to upgrade to this year's Mac/iDevice, my current one is still perfectly usable."

And he reminded me that it was better to have any camera rather than no camera at all when you see something that you want to shoot.

So I felt that my question was answered very well - cliche or no cliche.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We have no plans for any Android apps at this time. Our plate is very full with our focus on creating great productivity apps for Mac and iOS. It’s never been our goal to reach the widest possible audience; we’ve tried to focus on the technology that we feel is the most compelling. Right now we’re very excited about the Mac and iOS platforms.
I totally get that Ken. I am a software developer and technical lead at a startup, so I understand very very well how much additional platforms can sap from the quality and quantity of your creative output. I won't come here and make light of how much work Android support would be; lord knows we have enough armchair developers shouting from the rooftops what they can accomplish in "a weekend". I agree with keeping the focus (no pun intended) on OS X and iOS.

However that said, I own an Android phone. Even though I live on my MBP, and I pay some overhead in not having the nice Apple integration (gcal vs ical, mail vs gmail, etc), I get much more value out of the Android. One reason is because the cost is much lower (no AT&T lockin), and I can use my unlocked phone internationally with ease. I have wifi tethering anywhere I go with no ridiculous charges. The experience of Android has caught up to iPhone significantly; it's not quite as polished, but on the other hand, it has its own niceties (back button, google maps features, etc). Besides that, I don't like the restrictions Apple places on the AppStore; I feel they're being too greedy, so it's partially a political statement to support Android just to help keep Apple honest in some small way.

So the situation for me is that I love my Mac and I get incredible use out of OmniFocus. However a big part of GTD is how quickly you can get stuff out of your head into your inbox. Being able to enter stuff from my Nexus One would be great because I always have it on hand. As a developer I'll probably figure out some way to jury-rig this regardless. Secondarily, being able to view a context would also be useful for errands.

My pitch for a minimal Android app is that I believe there are a significant number of hardcore mac users like myself, who choose not to have an iPhone for one reason or another. We get 99% functionality out of the main OmniFocus desktop application, but we only get 50% GTD braindump coverage because we don't have our Macs with us all the time. Therefore the ROI for the basic data entry feature is quite high. Give it some thought...

I understand that there isnt a functional android app, but is there a way to just copy all of your action and project lists onto your android phone using one of the applications compatible with OmniFocus?

Being able to input data into omnifocus would be nice from my android phone, but all I really need is to see my actions when out.