The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF disk image should include Applications link Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not a big deal, but the OmniFocus disk image is missing the link to the Applications folder, unlike all the other disk images for Omni products.

So I have to expand the disk image to include the Finder sidebar, and then drag the OF app into Applications.

I'm hitting this experience everyday, since I install updates everyday.

It certainly isn't a big deal, and yeah, Sparkle support would make this irrelevant, but adding the Applications link within the installer disk image would allow me to quickly drag the OF icon and install-with-replace.

Cheers,
Doug

I suspect that, because they put together so many disk images, it's easy to forget to add that Application's link - so they don't bother.

What would be almost as good is if they could set the disk image so that when it mounts, it displays the sidebar.

I've managed my way around this:

1. Download OF to my desktop folder InBox. Switch OWeb to Omni Forums

2. Open InBox folder, unpack OF. Scroll forum window to OF section & open

3. click the EULA, OF disk image window opens

4. My InBox window is still open. Click Applications in the sidebar, drop old OF into "Omni Old" folder, drag new OF into Apps, wait until it loads (scrolling in forum window to oldest unread message), eject disk image, open OF, close Finder window

OK, I compressed a few numbers ... but I've done this so often the process is automatic.

--Liz

I'm sure the gurus will add the link to the disk image eventually. I strongly suspect that the current disk images are automatically generated--they always appear at about a quarter past the hour.

My work-around was to add the Application folder to my dock. Now I just drag the application from its window onto the dock icon, then confirm the Replace operation.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf
4. ...Click Applications in the sidebar, drop old OF into "Omni Old" folder, drag new OF into Apps, wait until it loads (scrolling in forum window to oldest unread message), eject disk image, open OF, close Finder window

--Liz
Liz, what is the purpose of removing the old OF app into the "Omni Old" folder? Wouldnt confirming replace of OF in the Applications folder be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady
What would be almost as good is if they could set the disk image so that when it mounts, it displays the sidebar.
For convenience, I'd like the sidebar to display also. On my monitor, when I open the sidebar, it displays off screen (the window is too far to the left for me).

I have a shell script which checks the installed version against the latest version and downloads of, opens it, waits for the Dula agreement to be manually accepted and then moves the old version to trash and installs the new one.

I've been using it for weeks without problem.

I'd be willing to share it without warantee or promise of official support (but would take suggestions) if there is interest. A little knowledge of Terminal and the ability to edit a text file (to enter your login details) is all it takes

I'd love something like this.

I have limited knowledge of shell files and Unix commands... but just enough to make me dangerous.

I should be able to edit the text file.