The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

repeat every month Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I am sending an invoice to my contractor every month on the 5th and 20th. I am not sure how to do that with OF.

Cezar

OmniFocus currently supports the "every X number of days" style of repetition, but we don't have support for repeating actions on a specific day of the month. If you email the support ninjas, they can attach your email to the item we have open on that in our development database.

(One of the metrics we use when planning our work is the number of folks requesting a given change.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixandgo View Post
I am sending an invoice to my contractor every month on the 5th and 20th. I am not sure how to do that with OF.
Create two tasks, one due on the 5th and one due on the 20th. Set them both to repeat every month, and you're all set!

Oh, for the love of...

<smacks self in head, wanders off to find remedial english textbook>

@Ken - is the repeat for every month calculated by 30 days or the actual date of the month. I've thought about this issue myself, though I have not tested this type of repeat. I assumed a month would be 30 days, which of course wouldn't put it on the same day each month, but if it works using the date, that is good news indeed. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
@Ken - is the repeat for every month calculated by 30 days or the actual date of the month.
If you specify your repeat interval as "1 month", it uses the same date of the calendar month (if possible).

Note that there is currently no notion of repeating on "the last day of the month": if a task repeats on a monthly basis starting with Jan 31, its first repeat will move to Feb 28 (since February doesn't have 31 days), then repeat on the 28th for the rest of the year.

For OmniFocus 2 we're planning to support more options for repeat intervals, so you'll be able to specify things like "the last Thursday of every other month". (I think that's the bug Brian was thinking of in his first response in this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If you specify your repeat interval as "1 month", it uses the same date of the calendar month (if possible).

Note that there is currently no notion of repeating on "the last day of the month": if a task repeats on a monthly basis starting with Jan 31, its first repeat will move to Feb 28 (since February doesn't have 31 days), then repeat on the 28th for the rest of the year.

For OmniFocus 2 we're planning to support more options for repeat intervals, so you'll be able to specify things like "the last Thursday of every other month". (I think that's the bug Brian was thinking of in his first response in this thread.)
This sounds great. Can I also suggest an option to put an end date for repeating?

Thanks for the explanation Ken. OF seems to have just about everything, and Omni is unbelievably supportive of its user base. While this level of customer service and care used to be commonplace at the beginning of the PC era (think WordPerfect Corp in the mid 80's) unfortunately it has become very unusal these days. Keep up the great work! John