The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SP17: POSIX error: Too many open files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Must be an Intel thing... I've never seen this and leave OW open for hours on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morto
Stopped loading <http://example.org/>: POSIX error: Too many open files
The next time this happens, it might be useful to see which files OmniWeb has open. You can list those open files by running the command "lsof -c OmniWeb" in a Terminal window.

Sure thing. The other problem I am having actually happened again tonight (I had left omni open all day and came back to this evening). OW stopped loading some images in pages and would render pages incorrectly, so I used Activity Monitor to dump the open files. I also took the same list of open files while OW was behaving normally after a restart. I've posted them on my webserver here:

open files while OW works fine

open files while OW is behaving badly

I hope this helps. If you need me to poke around with anything else while it's misbehaving I'd be happy to do so. Thus far I can pretty much guarantee either the POSIX error or the won't load images / render css problem by just opening OW and leaving it idle for a few hours and then coming back to it and doing some normal surfing. It does seem that the images that won't load are all images that should be pulled from the cache. New images usually seem to display. I notice this mostly on news sites. The new 'top story' image loads, but the images for the stories that I saw earlier in the day don't. And if I Refresh immediately after that then nothing loads except the text (no css / no images). As always, quit / restart makes it work just fine.

The next time it gives me the POSIX error, I will post the open file list here as well. Though the last time it happened I did look at the list of open files and it didn't look too different from what I just posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
The next time this happens, it might be useful to see which files OmniWeb has open. You can list those open files by running the command "lsof -c OmniWeb" in a Terminal window.
Okay, I have posted the lsof output here. Same thing again tonight. I opened a bunch of background tabs (8) from reddit and about half of them failed to load and threw up the posix error. I have noticed that sometimes if I wait and then try to reload the tab that it works, sometimes not.

I also submitted a bug report the other night (OW -> Help -> Send Feedback) and attached lsof output and sample output regarding the same error.

Just a post to let you know that the same POSIX error pops in beta 4 as well.

Some more input from me.

Happens almost only when switching to another workspace.

I am using OS X 10.4.8 (happened with 10.4.7)

This is on a Mac Book Pro 1.83 GHz

Using Verizon PPP EVDO Broadband connection. Never did this with 802.11 WiFi. But then again, my WiFi connection was really bad so I did not surf much.

Steven

I'm seeing the same problem on an intel iMac, OmniWeb 5.5 v607
and in my lsof -c OmniWeb output I see the similar line repeated around 230 times:
OmniWeb <pid> <user> 222 PIPE 0x40be1b8 16384

this page seems to have some similar information:
http://myztik.katan.com/?p=101

perhaps it's the same bug with the same fix?

[[outletToWebView mainFrame] stopLoading];

also:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...me/stopLoading

I seem to see that after a period of a few minutes I can load a new page. Maybe it's just a timeout that's too slow for the blazing speed of a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo? ;)