The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Windows / Linux Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, I know the question of if the Omni group would bring OmniFocus to Windows and other platforms was answered [with a no]. My question is, would the Omni group allow someone to develop an interface to the database for Windows?

I own a small software company (it's a start-up really) and am finding myself using OmniFocus heavily even for my Windows projects and if there would be no legal issues I'd like to take up developing a Windows client that can work with the OmniFocus database.

I could understand if the OmniFocus name couldn't be used with a project such as this but would the Omni group allow it?

Check out the OF Extras forum. This question has come up there with generally positive responses. (I definitely don't speak for Omni. This is just my recollection of the discussion.)

Curt

Quite a shame that they refuse to release a client for windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exavior View Post
That's sort of like someone telling me it's a shame I refuse to get licensed as a plumber and come fix their sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exavior View Post
That's like saying it is quite a shame that any Windows-only firm doesn't produce versions of their software for the Mac, or Linux. You'd have a decent argument if Omni made Windows applications, but they don't. That isn't their strength, and frankly, the Windows applications I have encountered don't give me much reason to believe that Windows users in general are willing to spend decent money to get high quality software like Omni produces.

Omni has expressed some interest in building a web client that you could run (presumably) from just about anything connected to the internet, which sounds like a more general solution than doing the unrewarding work involved in doing a Windows port of OmniFocus.