The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.5.2 for iPhone is now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Want to hear what we're working on next? Look for @omnifocus on twitter!

Here are some of the changes in the upcoming 1.5.2 update:
  • Added calendar-based notifications for those who are syncing via MobileMe or WebDAV. (These are time-based rather than push-based, so they'll work when offline and don't require the Mac app.)
  • The default due time is now 5pm rather than the beginning of the day.
  • Map location editing lets you drop a pin, position it where you want it, then assign it to an existing or new context.
  • Added support for dropped folders.
  • Fixed a synchronization setup bug where the password prompt could go missing when the sync server responded during a screen transition.
  • Action lists will now always display each action's due date, showing the due date of the action's project when appropriate.
  • Updated the localizations for German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, and Simplified Chinese.

Highlights of OmniFocus 1.5 and 1.5.1:
  • OmniFocus now displays nearby contexts using a map. Touch a pin to see all the tasks in the corresponding context.
  • You can Cut, Copy, and Paste entire actions by holding down a checkbox in an action list. You can paste into an empty list by holding the "No Actions" text.
  • You can search through all your projects and actions using the new Search screen.
  • In Projects and Contexts screens, you can select All Actions to show a grouped list of all actions.
  • You can set up repeating actions and projects using the new Repeat screen.
  • Action lists now display each action's due date.
  • Web links in notes now open inside OmniFocus (rather than launching Safari).
  • Added settings for whether the app badge counts overdue actions, due soon actions, both, or neither.
  • When selecting a start or due date, you can now tap multiple times on the Day, Week, and Month buttons to increment the date further.
  • Copying an action now places its task XML, its title (as text), and its omnifocus: link on the pasteboard. You can now paste a link from one task into the notes of another task, then click on the link to switch over to the linked item.

Note: Before updating, we recommend that you either synchronize your data with MobileMe or a WebDAV server (even if you're not using OmniFocus for Mac), or that you have a current backup of your iPhone data in iTunes. (That way you won't lose any data if your update is accidentally interrupted!)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-07-21 at 04:00 PM..

The more I work with OF, the better it works for me. Really a fantastic tool. And thanks a lot for all the improvement!

The default due time is now 5pm rather than the beginning of the day

Well, what I would prefer is that the due time starts when I add the task / project. Could this be an alternative mode?

Best,
mischa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Want to hear what we're working on next? Look for @omnifocus on twitter!

Here are some of the changes in the upcoming 1.5.2 update:
  • Added calendar-based notifications for those who are syncing via MobileMe or WebDAV. (These are time-based rather than push-based, so they'll work when offline and don't require the Mac app.)

Could you elaborate on this? I keep imagining this as some kind of iCal sync method so the notifications will appear like regular Calendar notifications (with that quiet little "ding"), but since you mention the need for a webdav server, I think I must be wrong...

Looking forward to the update!

-Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Gerloff View Post
Well, what I would prefer is that the due time starts when I add the task / project. Could this be an alternative mode?
I'm not sure I understand; are you wanting every task to immediately be overdue when you add it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
I keep imagining this as some kind of iCal sync method so the notifications will appear like regular Calendar notifications (with that quiet little "ding"), but since you mention the need for a webdav server, I think I must be wrong...
No, you're exactly right. The iPhone SDK doesn't have any API for editing the calendar, so OmniFocus communicates with iCal using a WebDAV server.

Quote:
No, you're exactly right. The iPhone SDK doesn't have any API for editing the calendar, so OmniFocus communicates with iCal using a WebDAV server.
Cool. One last question:

Would a task in OF show up in the Tasks section of iCal? Or as an event based on a date/time?

The more I hear, the more I'm really looking forward to this update. Better integration with iCal seems to solve a difficulty I have currently, the ability to look at a calendar and see how tasks are spread out over the month/week.

And by the way, thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

So if we want these, best not to use Mobile Me, but instead set up a WebDAV server? (Or *is* Mobile Me a WebDAV server of sorts?)

If we do need to set up a WebDAV server, is there a good thread that shows how and which 3rd party services you seem to like/trust to purchase that service from? (I tried searching on WebDAV but that returned 112 results and adding sticky didn't help, neither did setup.)

Thanks,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
Would a task in OF show up in the Tasks section of iCal? Or as an event based on a date/time?
It shows up as a 0-second event at the due date in a separate, read-only calendar. (In iCal, you can choose to view that calendar or not.)

Quote:
The more I hear, the more I'm really looking forward to this update. Better integration with iCal seems to solve a difficulty I have currently, the ability to look at a calendar and see how tasks are spread out over the month/week.
It will be interesting if this helps you with that problem, but I should probably be clear that that's not really the problem we're trying to solve: we're simply trying to offer due date reminders which can pop up when OmniFocus isn't running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesky View Post
So if we want these, best not to use Mobile Me, but instead set up a WebDAV server? (Or *is* Mobile Me a WebDAV server of sorts?)
MobileMe's iDisk is a WebDAV server, so if you're using MobileMe you don't have to do anything else.

Bonjour syncing also uses a WebDAV server, but unfortunately its address changes—which means we can't give iCal a permanent address at which to find a calendar. Unfortunately, that means*calendar notifications don't work with Bonjour syncing.

Some alternatives to MobileMe:

There's a thread on these forums that lists free WebDAV sync providers.

For the do-it-yourself types out there, every Mac comes with a built-in WebDAV server, Apache; a quick google search turns up multiple guides to setting it up for OmniFocus syncing. But hosting an Internet server can be pretty complicated, requiring knowledge of firewalls, IP addresses, DNS, etc.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand; are you wanting every task to immediately be overdue when you add it?
Oops! My fault. I meant the START time that should be the actual time when I add a task (instead of 0:00). Sorry to confuse you.

Michael