The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF Sync with Toodledo? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I bought OF for iPad and OF for iPhone and am excited by OF's good GTD implementation. However, it has been long that I have been with Toodledo for my task management. I wonder if trhere is anyway by which I can transfer all my Toodledo tasks into OmniFocus. Or, it would be great that OmniFocus can sync with Toodledo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awxu View Post
I bought OF for iPad and OF for iPhone and am excited by OF's good GTD implementation. However, it has been long that I have been with Toodledo for my task management. I wonder if trhere is anyway by which I can transfer all my Toodledo tasks into OmniFocus. Or, it would be great that OmniFocus can sync with Toodledo.
Since Toodledo syncs with other software I might be interested in using in conjunction with OF (such as Pocket Inormant and/or smart pad), I am curious about this topic as well. It seems that a script was written a couple of years ago - http://groups.google.com/group/oftd I have no idea whether it still works or not, but there it is.

Thanks imlad for your feedback. I am in the same situation where Pocket Informant for iPhone and iPad, as well as Toodledo syncing with PI are my daily gears. Now I found OF more sophisticated and useful but no way to transfer my old stuffs from Toodledo. Wonder why OF development team is so isolatedly confined in the Mac World. LOL.

I'd like to add my vote for sync with Toodledo. I've since stopped using OmniFocus and completely switched to Toodledo (Android phone, web access, e-mail tasks, etc.). However, I would LOVE to be able to sync Toodledo with OmniFocus and get the best of both worlds.

Given the numerous APIs Toodledo provides, this seems like a plausible request, and I'd greatly like to see OmniGroup consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
Since Toodledo syncs with other software I might be interested in using in conjunction with OF (such as Pocket Inormant and/or smart pad), I am curious about this topic as well. It seems that a script was written a couple of years ago - I have no idea whether it still works or not, but there it is.

It's out there, I don't know if it works because unfortunately it can't be downloaded from Google Groups any longer. At least not any way I've been able to figure out....

I've seen other recent references that it was working just in December, but Google changed something effective Jan 2011 which appears to have messed it up...? They claim you can download existing content, but this doesn't seem to fit that :-)

Anyone have a backup copy somewhere?

Unfortunately the OmniFocus <-> Toodledo sync utility stopped working about two years ago when an OmniFocus software update broke it. This was devastating to me, since I had the ultimate sync environment set up; because I used Windows at work, Mac at home, and an iPhone everywhere else, I was able to use Toodledo as my "cloud" which synced to both OF at home and Microsoft Outlook tasks (which I use at work). I could create a task in Outlook at the office and it would show up in OF when I got home (and vice versa). After the OF-Toodledo sync broke, I had to abandon OF and just use Toodledo + Outlook. I still think OF is the best GTD application, but I can't use it anymore because the reality is that I use a PC most of the time. OF is very pro-mac and will probably never support Windows or Toodledo. I've tried asking the developers, but it does not make a good business case for them.

I remember reading that the OF-Toodledo sync developers stopped supporting its development once OF for iPhone came out (that should give an indicator of how old it is) because it was only intended as a temporary solution for mobile users. What they didn't realize was that syncing to Toodledo opens up many more flexible options since Toodledo is very "cloud"-friendly; i.e., it syncs with just about anything else you can imagine, such as MS Outlook and many other 3rd-party apps. So in my opinion, maintaining an OF-Toodledo sync utility would be an *excellent* investment for Omni Group because it would allow OF to then indirectly sync to anything and everything that a user would ever want.

OmniFocus is wonderful when you live in an all-Mac world. If all you ever use is Macs, iPhones, and iPads for all of your work and leisure, then nothing beats it. However, if you're like me (and probably many others) where your corporate environment mandates the use of a PC, then OmniFocus is useless.

I still hope one day that someone will dig up the OF-Toodledo sync and make it work again. It was written in AppleScript, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to update if you know how to write in AppleScript. If anyone is interested in taking on this challenge, I'd gladly provide some financial support!

I would be willing to take on the challenge, however I haven't been able to find a copy that I can access. I wouldn't say I'm a whiz bang at applescript, however I am pretty darn good at scripting in general, and also at picking up new languages quickly. Nothing better for learning another than a concrete project to work on.

NO PROMISES. But if anyone can get me the code, I will make an attempt.

I just wanted to add my name to those that need some kind of cross platform syncing solution. I would love to work in an all Mac world. Alas, it is not my lot.