The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confused about cleanup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought I read somewhere that after you make a change to a task, as long as it has either a project or a context, it will immediately be transferred out of the Inbox to the appropriate place.

I can't seem to get this to work--even when I have both Project AND Context designated. I still have to hit the CleanUp button. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

I'm used to working with to-do and info managers that do this transfer immediately, including items that get checked off, and I don't think it's going to work for me to have to clean up things every time I make a change. Seems more reasonable to have an option for that to happen instantly.

Any info on this greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--Sandy Santra

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I thought I read somewhere that after you make a change to a task, as long as it has either a project or a context, it will immediately be transferred out of the Inbox to the appropriate place.

I can't seem to get this to work--even when I have both Project AND Context designated. I still have to hit the CleanUp button.
You have to hit the CleanUp button to move something out of the Inbox. There is no optional setting to make that automatic, to my knowledge (unless it was added quite recently). If you want that *option*, you should send feedback from the help menu in OF.

Some people don't want actions to leave the Inbox automatically.
See this thread, for example: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4023
Particularly this post: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...55&postcount=6

The problem with the inbox, is you set something, and OOPS. It's gone from the inbox, with your fleeting recognition that something was filled out wrong. Now you have to hunt it down (and you were still thinking as you mistyped), you have to also remember your mistyping.

Or you leave everything alone until a 'cleanup' (which is imho, much smarter.)

Sandy,

When you say "I don't think it's going to work for me to have to clean up things every time I make a change", it makes me think that you are trying to do work in the inbox, rather than just using it as a capture location. In GTD, the inbox is where things go until you do your daily (or more frequent) processing. After you've processed an item it should leave the inbox, hopefully never to return. Having the clean-up command to move the processed items out of the inbox is actually quite handy once you get used to it.

Also in GTD, it is typical to just do "two-minute" tasks when processing the inbox. I tend to just delete those tasks from the inbox, rather the additional time to categorize them and check them off.

Curt

Curt, thanks for the response! I know you're one of the senior members here, so it means a lot to see you posting in this topic. I'm just starting out and feel pretty hopeless after only a few days on the learning curve.

You're right: the InBox is overwhelming me. In fact, I feel overwhelmed in general: the Big Picture is drowning me. I don't know if it's because I'm worrying too much about my taxonomy or because I haven't processed everything I importing from iGTD (dozens of projects, 100s of tasks--most of them still in the InBox with no project or context, and not enough contexts yet).

You're right: once I whittle down the InBox and get going with my projects and perspectives, it'll probably get better. But ironically it's the whittling down of the InBox that's driving me insane.

And to get a handle on ALL my projects, it seems like everytime I try to filter with flags or duration, I still see that huge InBox completely expanded at the top of the right window--it never seems to go away!

And yes, I'd love to be able to check off two-minute items immediately--but that's one of the bugs out there right now, that checked off InBox tasks without a context or project won't go away after Clean Up...they just go to the Misc bucket and stay there as struck-through tasks FOREVER (unless you manually delete them).

Tonight I hope to clear out my entire inbox. Then I'll tackle customizing Perspectives. (Oh, and by the way, just WHERE are the "Filters"? Are they still in the program? I read about them somewhere, even saw an icon in a screenshot, but I can't find them anywhere.)

And then I will pray to the Omnigods for bug fixes on completed items that won't clean up, a true view of ONLY flagged tasks, and a way of hiding empty projects in a multi-project display.

Sandy

The Filter bar is now called the View bar. Turn it on; you'll need it. In the view bar, set it to show only Remaining tasks in Project View. Then the completed actions will go away.

You really need to learn how to find your way about the various views before investing much time in other features of the program. Experiment with both Project and Context views and with the various view bar settings. If you find a combination you like, you can save it as a perspective so you can easily come back to those settings. Don't worry about getting your perspectives exactly right at first though, just save the combinations of view settings that seem useful to you.

Good luck!

Curt