The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
I think Apple is doing a beautiful job with the iPhone interface, but it is not an open platform and far more people have non-Apple phones. As long as there is no 3G service in my state, I'll be sticking to my stupid candybar phone and my iPod Touch. Has the reasoning changed for a small shop like Omni to stick with a narrow platform sector with the teen-age of the pocket computer? I don't expect to be let in on internal company discussions here, and people reading these posts are pleased with their Apples, but where's the future? If I can buy a smart phone from my local mobile company next year running Android, will I stop using OF?
The market outside the iPhone itself is very fragmented; developing 10 versions of OF, especially with the primitive Java SDKs on many of these phones, would be 50x the work, to perhaps increase the potential market by 25%. It would be a waste of time, if there are still features they could add in the existing app.

I think, for now, if you want to use OF on a mobile device, your option is to get an iPhone or an iPod touch.

I understand that a native client for every device may be out of the question. With other services, developers take it into their own hands to create clients that utilise the other company's service or API.

The market for task apps on Android that sync with anything native on the Mac is currently covered by NO-ONE. That would mean if the Omni Group spend a comparatively small amount of time (compared to creating a native app) creating the ability to sync with just one more service (eg Remember the Milk), not only would people on Android be able to use the service, but people using many other devices too would be able to use OmniFocus as the hub of their tasks. OmniFocus would be the first one in!

Another possibility that I can see is that eventually Google Tasks will mature into a service that can sync with iCal tasks. Unfortunately, this leaves much to be desired as iCal tasks have way less information stored in them than OF actually uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrecord View Post

The market for task apps on Android that sync with anything native on the Mac is currently covered by NO-ONE. That would mean if the Omni Group spend a comparatively small amount of time (compared to creating a native app) creating the ability to sync with just one more service (eg Remember the Milk), not only would people on Android be able to use the service, but people using many other devices too would be able to use OmniFocus as the hub of their tasks. OmniFocus would be the first one in!

Sure. Well, the Omni Group have been Cocoa/Objective C programmers for years. They probably have hundreds of years experience between them.

No Cocoa or Objective-C on Android. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
No Cocoa or Objective-C on Android. :)
I understand what you are saying.

However, you can code an OmniFocus sync plugin for the Remember The Milk API in Cocoa or Objective C, no? That's what I was getting at. It would really open up OmniFocus to a lot more users.

If this is not viable, I really look forward to a web client at least.

I'm one of the unfortunate millions who CAN NOT get an iPhone - because I live in an area of the US that does NOT have AT&T (and I won't even go into jailbreaking, iPod Touch, yadda, yadda - sorry - just not quite my thing to geek out THAT far for a device that's supposed to be dead simple to use).

I'm a Mac Geek, but with the Android coming out next week on Verizon (which I'm currently on), and the iPhone maaaybbbeeee not coming to Verizon for several more months after (probably??? hopefully???) - I'm probably going to get a Droid. I'm just plain tired of waiting - it's been years. Literally.

So, here's my vote for OmniFocus on Droid. Cheers. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas_johnson View Post
I'm one of the unfortunate millions who CAN NOT get an iPhone - because I live in an area of the US that does NOT have AT&T (and I won't even go into jailbreaking, iPod Touch, yadda, yadda - sorry - just not quite my thing to geek out THAT far for a device that's supposed to be dead simple to use).
Speaking as one who uses an iPod Touch to run OmniFocus and is not bathed in a sea of (available) wireless connectivity wherever I go, allow me to respectfully suggest that you are crazy to wait for the possibility that Omni is going to deliver OmniFocus (or any other app in their lineup) for any device that doesn't run the Apple frameworks atop which they build all their software. If mobile OmniFocus would be of any appreciable value to you, go buy a low-end iPod Touch and OmniFocus and use it. You'll get your money's worth out of it long before you can buy OmniFocus for any other manufacturer's smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas_johnson View Post

I'm a Mac Geek, but with the Android coming out next week on Verizon (which I'm currently on), and the iPhone maaaybbbeeee not coming to Verizon for several more months after (probably??? hopefully???) - I'm probably going to get a Droid. I'm just plain tired of waiting - it's been years. Literally.

So, here's my vote for OmniFocus on Droid. Cheers. :)
I have multiple mac's and live and die daily by OF on my Mac and Iphone.
but really I have played with the Droid phone, and as WIRED would say:
Wired: Droid, Tired: Iphone". Then again, I did buy an iphone just to
run OF, but AT&T is killing me. As a Network Architect for real-time embedded systems for 20 years, and 10 years in real-time embedded systems development running on AT&T in NY is like running Bell102.
I get 76Kbs up and 30Kbs down. On my Mac I use a Vzn CDMA Rev A broadband card and get about 1.2Mbs down, 670Kbs up. With recent loss of Bingodisk support for WEBDAV, and Swissdisk major crash, I have to say Mobileme hasn't had those issues in a long while, but syncing with MM
via AT&T is frustrating.

Buying an Iphone, and switching to MAC for the best SW design of the GTD method (and I tried them all), I would indeed buy a Droid just for OF on Verizons network.

I was watching a screencast from screencastonline podcast, and they did
3 sessions on THINGS. I don't care for it because of the way they try to
make contexts fit in to their software via a Kludge, but they are developing
for Android. Heck the bulk of the code is C based. Mac OS X is a Cocco
Gui on Darwin Linux, Android is a linux based OS, how tough could this really be? Not trivial, but the bulk of the logic is transferrable, leaving the GUI code and Sync.

I am not jumping ship because Vzn is being stupid about the Droid charging $45 extra if you want to sync with exchange at work, and finding ways to
$10 and $20 dollar you to death. But OF on Android with Mac sync ability would be awesome.:cool:

I wouldn't trade my Mac notebooks and their elegant OS X operating systems for anything. And I'm not about to give up my Droid, even if an iPhone is released for Verizon.

One more vote here for an OmniFocus like app for Android 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmn678 View Post
One more vote here for an OmniFocus like app for Android 2.0.
Well, just for the record. One vote against iPhone for Android. I'd never buy anything with unavoidable Google inside. Google is already way too powerful and I'd never trust them with my beloved data. There is no such thing as free lunch.

And I would never buy again any other phone but an iPhone as long as Apple will produce iPhones.

I'd prefer that Omnifocus focuses on OS X and the iPhone. Seems to be complicated enough. No need to spread resources.

As others have noted, Android has NOTHING in common with either the iPhone or Mac frameworks & requires the equivalent of a full rewrite. The Android platform has been out for a while now & hasn't set any sales records. Even the much anticipated Droid release on Verizon sold fewer units it's opening weekend than the original iPhone did by a 10-1 ratio, it's doubtful it makes ANY economic sense to do split development resources to a DOA platform.