The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Daily recurring tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to make a list of tasks in OF that I need to do every day.

Is there any way to do this without it creating duplicate tasks? I want to be able to simply check off the tasks throughout the day, and have the same tasks there to check off the next day. I tried playing around with the times (11:59 PM and 12:00 AM), but I haven't been able to get it to work right.

Any ideas?

Also, is there any way to have it only behave this way on weekdays? This isn't necessary, but it would come in handy.

Thanks.

Just call up the inspector (Shift-Cmd-I) and check the 'repeat every' box and set it to 1 day from the assigned date.

As soon as you check of the task for today, a new one will be spawned for tomorrow.

Try this.

Set the task to repeating,
set a start date
in the info panel, make sure the task is set to repeat based on assigned date.

Show the View panel (menu->view->show view bar) or (click on the glasses icon so they are open) or (shift + command + V)

Change the "Show Actions With Status" filter to Available. (It's the third filter from the right).

Now when you click the task, the start date will move to the next start date and the task will disappear from OmniFocus until tomorrow.

The only caveat with setting a task to repeat based on assigned date is, if you miss a couple days, you have to keep completing the task to catch it up.

If the task is set to repeat based on completed date, it will never change the start date to be more than the current date (tomorrow).

I have a widget that will skip over repeating tasks that are set to repeat on assigned date. The widget automatically catches a task up to the first start date in the future.

If you want to give it a shot...
http://www.KranK.us
There is a manual on the page as well.

Hope this helps.

Small correction to my last post...

If you have a task with a start date & end date set to repeat based on completion date, then the task will never move beyond today.

If the task just has a start date, it will move the start date into the future.

If you have a task with a start date & end date set to repeat based on assigned date, the task start date will move beyond today. This is the setup I use, so I create my tasks to repeat based on assigned date. I would rather use completion date, but the tasks would never move into the future.

The widget completes a task based on assigned date, skips over all those tasks in the past, and moves the task into the future.