The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

configurable duration granularity? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a Software Manager and the current granularity I use for tasks is days and weeks. It's frustrating when dragging task lengths to have hours and half hours of duration or start midday. I end up either trying to "micro drag" the end of a task bar or typing in the exact duration and start dates using the task inspector.

What I'd really like is the ability to set the granularity to days and have all durations locked into whole days and tasks forced to start at the beginning of a day.

I completely agree.

I think that in week view, gantt bars should "snap" to posistion to the start of each day. it is labourious trying to line up the bars to start at 8am or 9am.

Would love a click box in preferences that would allow you to use whole days. Find the hours thing frustrating. Whole days would fit much better with the projects I work with.

Thanks!

In the project inspector, you can uncheck hours. This forces all display to be in days, rather than hours (although values like 3.25 days are still possible). Beta 6 also seems to have fixed some duration shifts which might have been causing the behavior shifts you note.

As neils says, you can uncheck hours to remove them from the display. Now in beta 6 you can hold down the shift key while dragging bars in the gantt view to 'snap' the bars to the grid lines (so depending upon the scale, to the nearest day or nearest week).

In the future we'd also like to add some more logic for truly being able to specify the smallest units that you work in so that you could just specify "1 day" somewhere and have the whole app work that way, but that is a fairly involved set of changes.

It is true that un-checking hours in the project inspector forces the effort and duration to be days or weeks. However, the start and end dates always have time associated with them. It would be nice to have start and end dates that don't have to have a time. So if hours must be kept track of, start day would assume to be 8am and end day would assume a 5pm end (for defaults).

I agree - I track by the day and not by time (teams in multiple timezones!). It's distracting and annoying to have the time show up in the Gantt chart. This is almost a show stopper for buying a license for the product...

In OmniPlan 1.1 (currently in beta), you can turn off the time display using the "Project: Formatting" inspector.

I see this feature of turning off the time display, but the time is still there in the background, and when, for example, I was scheduling a 2-week activity, it was starting on a monday at 11:00AM and ending two mondays hence at 11:00 (this had me stuck for a while, since a 2-week task starting on a monday would end on a friday, right?). The problem was that I didn't have my little bar starting exactly at where 9:00 AM, and there's no feedback or indication that I'm dragging a task to start exactly on a day start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardt@soundepartment.com
I see this feature of turning off the time display, but the time is still there in the background, and when, for example, I was scheduling a 2-week activity, it was starting on a monday at 11:00AM and ending two mondays hence at 11:00 (this had me stuck for a while, since a 2-week task starting on a monday would end on a friday, right?). The problem was that I didn't have my little bar starting exactly at where 9:00 AM, and there's no feedback or indication that I'm dragging a task to start exactly on a day start.
You could try holding down the shift key as you position the task bar to the day you want to start. That should snap your task to start at the very beginning of the work day. Does that work for you?