The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using OF on 2 x iPads Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have two ipads. If OF is on both, is it possible to sync such that the data appears on both devices? Or will the sync become confused?

I know OF is not designed to sync between two devices. But if you sync to MobileMe is it possible to then sync the second iPad to the same MobileMe area??

I sync OmniFocus between two iPhones, three iPads and my laptop. No problems. It is my understanding that this is officially supported.

Sync is complex. I would not expect pointing two devices at one place to work if they weren't designed to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefMercury View Post
I have two ipads. If OF is on both, is it possible to sync such that the data appears on both devices? Or will the sync become confused?

I know OF is not designed to sync between two devices. But if you sync to MobileMe is it possible to then sync the second iPad to the same MobileMe area??
Yes, no, yes. You can use MobileMe or the Omni Sync Server or a compliant WebDAV server as the necessary intermediary. What you can't do so easily in your case is merge two separately created databases; you'll have to choose one or the other.

Thanks Gopi. I appreciate the expectation for the sync to be solid. There is a world of difference (sometimes!) between what you expect and what you get. Your setup certainly puts it to the test. Thanks again for the swift reply.

I should add two warnings about syncing:
1. It is not that fast. A 3GS is fast enough. A 3G is not that great.
2. It gets slower if you have devices that haven't been synced recently.

Specifically, it keeps around data to get the oldest device up to date. If the oldest device is a few days old, shouldn't be a problem. If the oldest device is a week, two weeks, a month old...not going to be pretty, performance-wise.