The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basic questions - potential new user Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Could anyone help with a really simple question?

Does the iPad version (or for that mat the the iPhone version) allow tasks to be emailed out via the iPad or iPhones email app? I'm not talking copy and paste but direct emailing from the omnifocus app
itself?

Thanks

iPad app allows that, iPhone app doesn't yet.

Curt

Why yes, yes it does, iPad version at least. Tap any item and its inspector pop-up has a little button for emailing it.

Only works for individual actions, though, not for whole projects.

The iPad version will allow emailing if individual tasks, but I'm sending a request to email projects in soon. The iPhone technically does not, but the workaround is to display the task, with what needs to be seen, ie notes, and take a picture, and email that out. I'd love the ability to print from iPad as well, which is another feature request.

You can email it out but it doesn't automatically connect with the iPhone or desktop version. You have to manually reenter the task.

You can use the sneaky peak of 1.8 on e desktop but that's beta software ya know so use at your own risk. ;^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
You can email it out but it doesn't automatically connect with the iPhone or desktop version. You have to manually reenter the task.
If I may clarify a bit...my remarks here apply to OmniFocus on the Mac exclusively.

If you aren't running the sneaky peek of 1.8 (or 1.8 or later, for someone who sees this in the future), then you have to enter everything by hand, although you can use copy and paste to ease the burden a bit.

If you are running the 1.8 sneaky peek, you can click the enclosed link to add the action name and note to OmniFocus, and then set the remaining details by hand. There's no guarantee that two different users would (want to) have the same project name or context name even if the underlying mechanism did support specifying them (which it currently does not). Dates, on the other hand, I think probably ought to be made available through the linkage.

Quote:
You can use the sneaky peak of 1.8 on e desktop but that's beta software ya know so use at your own risk. ;^)
Yes, you're using it at your own risk, but that's technically also true of the production software! I've been almost exclusively running the Omni sneaky peek software for OmniFocus, OmniPlan, OmniOutliner, and OmniWeb for the last several years, and cannot think of a single case where doing so has brought harm to my data. If I had encountered any such problems, I would be considerably more circumspect about suggesting others use it without prior knowledge of their general technical savvy. No doubt the gods will now arrange a horrible data-corrupting defect in the next sneaky peek to put me in my place :)

It's a trade-off — if the baby step toward a delegation feature is important to you, it might be worth trying the sneaky peek. You can always switch back to the production binary, and there aren't any data file format changes to worry about here.

Thanks for the clarification on the subject. I was holding my 4month old while responding so I couldn't be as detailed ;^)

I wasn't posting to the Omni forum at the time, but I've got some pictures of my son when he was about that age sleeping on my belly as I leaned back in my chair and typed with arms fully extended — we called it the "magic daddy tummy" for its ability to put him to sleep :) A few of my sweetie balancing her little iBook on his belly as he slept on her lap, too...now he's almost as tall as she is, and never seems to sleep!

Thanks for those who responded. There seems to be a lack of documentation regarding the smaller features --- I'm not talking iPad as this is new but the iPhone version has been out long enough for more substantial documentation to be available.

If the iPhone version does not have the ability to email out items i won't hold my breath that projects or many actions can be emailed out rather than being done individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the subject. I was holding my 4month old while responding so I couldn't be as detailed ;^)
Policarpo: this begs the question: can you hold your 4-month old while using OF iPad? :)