The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Issues with location implementation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As a new user, I'm having fun learning about OmniFocus' powerful features as I migrate my system over from my old task applications (Todo on iOS + Toodledoo on the web). One of the features that has me the most intrigued is the location feature on the iOS versions of OmniFocus; this feature seems very powerful, but it raises a few issues with me on its implementation.
It seems that each context within OmniFocus can have only one location associated with it. This means that I cannot use my context @market and have OmniFocus apply location data for the three different markets I might go to while completing my errands. This means I would need to have multiple contexts (@Joe'sMarket, @Pete'sMarket, @AcmeMarket) and know which items I was going to buy at each market ahead of time.
To me, this sort of defeats the purpose of having the location feature doing the work for me. Would it not make more sense to allow a context to have multiple location tags and then OmniFocus could pick the closest one?
To clarify; I don't really care where I buy milk. If I have an action item in OmniFocus to "buy milk"@market, I would like OmniFocus to choose the closest 'version' of @market available rather than make he action item "buy milk"@AcmeMarket and hope that is the one I end up closest to on my travels.
Am I missing something here that would solve my issue?

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

If you know this before time, why assign a location to the context? why not just open the context when you arrive at A market (doesn't matter which one) and go through your list.

Locations isn't appropriate for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
If you know this before time, why assign a location to the context? why not just open the context when you arrive at A market (doesn't matter which one) and go through your list.

Locations isn't appropriate for everything.
I guess then I'm missing the point of locations altogether. Can you give me an example of how locations might be used correctly?

You can apply a Google business search term to a context to give you multiple locations for that context. If you are limiting your shopping to only 3 markets, it should be easy enough to enter detailed search information to give you only those 3 markets. If you use generic search terms for the business search, the results often give results that are not helpful.

If you do an advanced search in the OmniFocus sub-forums for +Google +business +search you should find enough info to set up what you need.

I was completely missing the point. Thank for clearing it up for me.