The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

focus on single "project's" due items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to use OF for my leads generation (CRM).

I have a "project" set up with a bunch of items. They are single items that are not dependent upon each other. They all have due dates. So every day I want to spend an hour or two just concentrating on this one folder's items - specifically the due items.

How do I view a single Project by Due Date? I just can't figure it out. At present when I open a single Project in a window - I select Sort by Due Date but toe order is completely mixed up.

We should be able to focus in on a single project and sort how we want it - right?

Focus on the project, then go to context mode view to do the sorting.

sorry - I don't quite understand this answer - how would context help reorder the items by due date?

You can use the view bar to tell OmniFocus to display your actions ordered by due date. In context mode, sorting is on an action-by-action basis, whereas in project mode, it is on a project-by-project basis, which is why you can't do what you want in project mode. Example:

Thanks for your help. Looks like context mode doesn't help at all because all my projects will be mixed in there making it a nightmare to sort through.
All I want to do is focus - focus in on one project - and view the due items listed all together at the top of the window - not scattered through the whole project.
David Allen talks a lot about focus. This would help me. I can't figure out why this isn't possible to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenp View Post
Thanks for your help. Looks like context mode doesn't help at all because all my projects will be mixed in there making it a nightmare to sort through.
All I want to do is focus - focus in on one project - and view the due items listed all together at the top of the window - not scattered through the whole project.
David Allen talks a lot about focus. This would help me. I can't figure out why this isn't possible to do.
Here's how you do it:

* Pick the project, and focus on it
* Hit command-2 to switch to context mode.
* Select status filter: Due or flagged

voila

In case it helps to clarify, the references to "Focusing on the project" in whpalmer4 and CatOne's responses refer to clicking that project in the sidebar, then selecting the "Focus on" item under the View menu.

That gives you a window which hides all the un-selected projects; this persists in Context mode, allowing you to see the actions sorted individually as they suggest.

Meanwhile, you can use some other completely different ordering in project view. Maybe the most important tasks are at the top, or you prefer alphabetizing the actions in that project.

Project mode assumes that the order you put those actions to matters enough to want it to stick around; context mode lets you re-order on the fly without messing up your "real" sorting. If you want to permanently re-order items in Project mode, you can select them in the window, then use the options under the Edit menu - but remember, that sorting is permanent.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much everyone for helping. Especially Brian for that clarification and the missing piece. I had not come across the Edit->Sort menu before and that was indeed the missing step I was looking for. I had assumed you should be able to just click on the Due label at the top of the Due column to sort by that – but that doesn't work.
This will make my life a lot easier for sure. Thanks again for taking the time.