The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Clipping Stopped Working [SOLVED: Bug in Safari 4; get most recent browser rel.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I believe I was premature in my conclusions of what was causing what to work. The default browser setting apparently has no effect after all. After working with this some more, here's what I am seeing, using the latest SP version of OF. I get the following results 100% of the time with Safari 4 beta on my system.

1) If OmniFocus is not running when I capture a message from Mail, the Clip-O-Tron 3000 will launch OF and will properly add the message to OF.

2) If OF is already running when capturing an email, the email is not clipped to OF.

It would be interesting to hear if others get the same results with their configuration.

Edited to add: I am using a PPC, so Intel users could possible see different results.
Using the latest OmniFocus sneaky peak, OS X 10.5.6, Safari 4 beta, and an Intel MacBook Pro, the Clip-O-Tron 3000 consistently works for me, whether OmniFocus is running or not (i.e. the clipping service will launch OmniFocus if it's not already running). This has been the case ever since the April 17 update that "Added a compatibility fix for AppleScript clipping handlers."

Note that I've also got OmniFocus configured to send clippings to the Quick Entry window first, if that makes any difference.

What does not work for me is the processing of the +omnifocus Mail rule. It's been broken ever since I installed the Safari 4 beta. It's been my understanding that this is the issue that requires Apple's involvement to be resolved.

-Dennis

Dennis, you are correct. We are referring to the processing of the Mail rule. And yes, the understanding is that this is a S4 bug that Apple needs to resolve. This thread is marked solved because there is a workaround: reverting to S3. However, since some users would ideally like to use both S4 and the OF mail rule processing, there is hope that someone may find an alternative workaround that accomplishes this.

My understanding is that clipping plain text email will presumably still work, but the applescript interface for handing HTML off to WebKit to get the formatted text is broken. (It did the same thing for some of their apps, as well.)

The only workaround here is going to be a new beta of Safari 4 that puts the bits of AppleScript our script depends on back in place. Our script does something totally supported, but they respond with that error message instead of sending us the results.

The real-world equivalent is something like this: Apple sent us a new monitor, but the ports are all different and no one else uses them. We can't use the new thing they sent until they send us an adapter or a NEW new one with different ports. :-)

another hapless victim of this change. finally landed here. i don't mind if the rule does not work, but i would like to send emails to omnifocus using a mail act-on shortcut. can anybody advise how i can do that? alternatively, even if you tell me how to make the clip-o-tron work for a mail that would be great. thanks.

Unfortunately, the mail rule processing and mail clip-o-tron are both affected by this bug in Safari 4.

I don't have any experience with Mail Act-On, so I'm not able to answer that bit one way or the other. Hopefully another customer can lend a hand.

Just had a conversation with Ken - it appears I may have been incorrect; this should only affect the mail rule processing, not mail clipping.

Re-downloading Safari 4 beta to test this now...

If it does only affect the mail rule, you should be able to use the mail clipping as normal.

In OmniFocus all you need to do is install the Clip-o-tron and define a keyboard shortcut you want to use (I chose the F6 key) to activate it.

Restart Mail at that point and you should be able to select a message in the list pane at the top of the mail view, hit the keyboard shortcut you chose, and have the mail appear in OmniFocus' quick entry window.

Sorry for the confusion, everyone!

Okay, yep, just installed Safari 4, rebooted, and can still clip HTML mail. Confirmation that only the mail rule is broken by S4, so the workaround above should work. Will edit thread title to reflect my newer and more correct understanding of the issue. :-)

Thanks Brian and Ken for looking into this and for your responsiveness here.

Confused. My mail clipping was intermittent with Safari 4 and often didn't work particularly if the email had attachments. Reverted to Safari 3 and it works again. However, any url links in the clipped emails still try to open (the uninstalled) Safari 4 beta. How do I revert the linking back?

Edit:ignore the last part. Safari prefs somehow reverted back to 4 as default browser - no idea how or why but every time I close Safari 3, the default browser reverts back to Safari 4

Last edited by coolie21; 2009-04-30 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: more info

i will activate clip-o-tron in that case.

meanwhile, i am waiting for the script to work so that i can create a omnifocus task based on a rule applied to a sent mail.

Last edited by msim; 2009-04-30 at 10:47 AM..