The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Item Count for Inbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello!

Been using OF for Mac and iPhone for quite a while now, and love it, especially with how well it syncs between multiple computers, and my phone.

While it's probably best GTD practice to go through your inbox quite often, and I often do (when it comes to the physical inbox I keep at work, and my email inbox, at least), sometimes in OF, things can get forgotten.

On the iPhone client, when you have inbox items, a count of how many are in there appears on the home screen. I'd love to see something similar for the inbox icon that lives in the toolbar at the top of the screen on the Mac client. Is there a hidden option somewhere to show this? Is there a better, more elegant GTD solution for this?

Thanks!

Jason

Go to the Preferences, select Data, check the Show Due Soon and Overdue actions boxes as desired, and you'll get the Inbox count in addition to the Due Soon and Overdue counts. Note that you'll get the Inbox count only if you don't have something that is Due Soon or Overdue in the Inbox, otherwise you'll get the count of Overdue items, or Due Soon items if no Overdue items.

Oh, great to know!

However, as I typically have at least one or two "due soon" items in my task list (never any overdue...never... ;) ) I'm still liable to miss things.

What I'm actually looking for is a badge to show up on the inbox icon itself (the one that lives next to the contexts / projects / other perspectives and shortcuts in the toolbar. Is THAT somehow possible?

Thanks!

No, you can't put the badge on the toolbar icon. To make a feature request, send it in with Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

I think you might have misunderstood my point about the due soon and overdue counts overriding the display of the inbox count. When you turn on those displays, you get a number in a colored oval next to the project/context/inbox name in the sidebar.

The Inbox count is in gray, and shows that I have 29 actions in my Inbox. Update iPod touch has an orange count, which is the default styling for Due Soon items. AAA test project has a red count, which is the default styling for Overdue items. You only get the most important count, so Overdue overrides Due Soon, and both override the Inbox count. The Inbox item count will always be present provided you have some items in the Inbox and none of the items in the Inbox are Due Soon or Overdue. Every action in every project outside the Inbox can be Overdue :-)

So, to sum up, as long as you don't let anything in your Inbox get too close to its due date/time, you can have an on-screen indication of how many items are in the Inbox.