The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

User Interface - Icon Design Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sometimes I get confused by the icon design in OmniFocus. For example, the icon for a "folder" makes sense to me because it actually looks like a folder, whereas the icon for a "Single-Action List" confuses me because it doesn't look like a list. Something about the "box" icon doesn't make sense to me when I see it.

Similarly, if I happen to have a loose action at the root level of the library, it has the same icon as a project, so I can't tell them apart. I know that technically a single action appears to be, and is, a project, until it becomes a child of an existing project or an existing single-action list, but sometimes when I'm reorganizing I move actions to the top level of the library as I am thinking about where to move them. I'm wondering if if would be helpful for actions to have a checkbox icon in the sidebar, just like they do when they are in a project or single-action list. It might even eliminate the need for even having some single-action lists, because the single action would be just what it is, a single action, treated at the same level as a project.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone else, but just a thought I had.

If you have any suggestions for alternate icons, please share - we tend to be quite open to anything that is clearly better.

As for loose actions, we don't have that concept. Indeed, one of the common ways of creating a project is to drag an action to the sidebar - that turns it into a project, so from that perspective providing the functionality you're asking for would inconvenience other users.

If you want a preference to control that behavior, please email the feedback address. (The hurdle to a preference is relatively high.) I suggest you email a request that's more generic - it seems like the functionality you want is a "staging" area where you can drop things while doing some rearrangement. Normally we would consider the In Box to be that area, but perhaps you could convince us of the need for something else.