The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due date column disappearing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is extremely cumbersome, and hopefully a temporary bug. Why not just put this in preferences?

Columns widths were just in preferences. But since all printing is controlled by perspectives, column choices and widths (or at least non-standard choices and widths) need to be part of each perspective. It would be nice if there was some way to indicate when I meant to change the default settings for all perspectives vs. perspective-specific settings. Any thoughts on that?

Curt

I would rather have the columns appear by default and then save perspectives without them as needed since I find that I'm always playing with the menu bar to get them back.

I am finding there is no way (yet) to make the date columns stick permanently in the "default" views (no perspective selected).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
I would rather have the columns appear by default and then save perspectives without them as needed since I find that I'm always playing with the menu bar to get them back.
I most definitely second this motion. Otherwise if you liekt osee the dates, the only way to navigate is using the perspectives. Every time you switch to Contexct or Planning view, you loose them.

Thanks.

I agree: either put start/due date columns in general preferences or add them to the default view. It is counterintuitive to have to click "view" every time one opens the program. (Btw, I use perspectives, but still find this annoying, because my first view of the day is always the default.)

I have been using OF since fairly early in Alpha and really like(d?) it, but this, along with a few other very recent changes, has me thinking about going back to iGTD and I certainly won't pay for OF until I see how this pans out. I really hope this is a bug and not intended functionality. 2 weeks ago I was certain that OF was the right GTD app for me, now, not so much.

It's absolutely a bug; unfortunately, it's one we've had trouble reproducing.

We're still trying to reproduce it on our own—but if any of you can give us steps we can follow to reproduce the problem, that would make it easier for us to find and fix!

(We're also looking at alternate approaches that would allow more explicit control over the default column layout.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
It's absolutely a bug; unfortunately, it's one we've had trouble reproducing.

We're still trying to reproduce it on our own—but if any of you can give us steps we can follow to reproduce the problem, that would make it easier for us to find and fix!

(We're also looking at alternate approaches that would allow more explicit control over the default column layout.)
What I have been able to notice is that if I add the 'due date' column and dont'use perpectives, and simply shift going from context to planning, I have no issue and the columns reamin in place. The moment I invoque a perspective, what ever setting I had in the 'normal view'get lost.

Hope this helps! Martin.

Ah! When you invoke the perspective, does that perspective have the columns turned off? I can reproduce the bug in that case.

Right now we are thinking that it might just be better to add a 'Save View Settings for New Windows' menu item under the View or Perspectives menu and let the user explicitly save this. Doing this automatically seems to be causing more problems than it solves.