The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resources only available for a project part of the time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
New to OmniPlan and planning software in general. This may be obvious, but...

I manage 3 developers working on between 3-5 ongoing projects during a given week. Let's say Dev A will be available on average half of his time for Project A. What's the best way to configure his time in that project? Let's also say that Dev A will be the only person working on Project A. Should I edit his schedule to only be available from 8:00-12:00 (half a work day?) I tried setting Units to 50% but that seemed to give me utilization warnings for every task, which makes me think I don't understand how to use Units :).

Basically I'm thinking that every Task will end up with a duration that is double its effort. Changing Dev A's work hours to half-day seems to work, but feels odd, since he's actually here all day. Fine with me if that's the way to handle it, though.

Sorry for the 101 question, but I'm trying to make sure I don't start off on the wrong foot.

Thanks!

What you're doing seems fine, but if it feels weird another way you could model that would be to set that developer's efficiency to 50%.

Thank you, Ken. Seems to work okay doing it based on work week settings per developer. It also allows me to change the scheduled days from a half day to full days, depending upon the developer's actual intentions.

Nice.