The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to block flash ads? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. Whats the easiest way to block an annoying sex ad that is in flash?
In opera I can click "block content" and then click it, and in Camino I have flashblock.
In OmniWeb I dont know though, and I cant click "inspect elelement" on it to get info. Is there any easier way than going into the scary long sourcecode and trying to find an adress or something?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjoppe
Hi. Whats the easiest way to block an annoying sex ad that is in flash?
In opera I can click "block content" and then click it, and in Camino I have flashblock.
In OmniWeb I dont know though, and I cant click "inspect elelement" on it to get info. Is there any easier way than going into the scary long sourcecode and trying to find an adress or something?

Thanks
Oh, I love on-your-face sexy flash ads...(joking).

Do you want to block flash from a domain? If so, enter this in the Ad Blocking preference Pane

Code:
/domaintobeblocked.com.*\.swf/
Do you want to block ALL flash ads?

Code:
\.swf
For more info and the beauty of Regex filtering,

omniweb:/Help/reference/preferences/AdBlocking.html

hth,
musti.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is there any easier way to get the domain, than trying to find it in the long sourcecode? Im really bad at html and such, and I cant seem to to "inspect element" on plugins either

Quote:
Is there any easier way to get the domain, than trying to find it in the long sourcecode? Im really bad at html and such, and I cant seem to to "inspect element" on plugins either
Not that I know of, and I am looking for that as well, as it is a pain to go fish for the culprit in the code.

Quote:
Well, I find that it's quite easy to get the domain from the page info view that is located in the site preferences panel. Swf files are listed under "other". Then just copy the element for it's URL.

For some reason the filtering seems not to be working :(

Flash ad filtering is working fine here.

Note that for many (if not most) flash ads the code for the swf is being written out by javascript. Often there is no ".swf" in the code to filter. Crafty agencies!

You may need to create a filter to block an external javascript file from loading. On many sites I need to do this.

You can also probably block several entire domains like:

ad\.admarketplace\.net.* or a1\.interclick\.com/.* or gfx\.klipmart\.com/.*

just to pick 3 at random. You can find exhaustive lists at sites like http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

You may also be able to detect in the html that the flash ad is in a named DIV tag, then you can whack it with a custom css file, as in

div#damnAd { display:none !important }

I need to do this for practically ALL the sites I visit. Ad blocking via URL is not enough in these cases. Amazing what I go through just not to view web ads!

Of course, it would be nice to be able to right-click on a Flash ad and block it there, like you can with SafariBlock, or in FF with AdBlock. Maybe in 6.0?

Last edited by Handycam; 2006-07-12 at 12:58 PM..

What would be just as useful for now is a way to import lists like filterset.g so that most of the work is already done! that would be a pretty easy thing to implement in this version! devs????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Flash ad filtering is working fine here.
I now see that I was not being very clear, sorry about that. The flash ad blocking itself is working well. What was not working is the element filtering in the page info view. (at least I thought the search field was there for that reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
Of course, it would be nice to be able to right-click on a Flash ad and block it there, like you can with SafariBlock, or in FF with AdBlock. Maybe in 6.0?
If that is so, OmniGroup won't see my money for OW before 6.0.

I am using Safari + Saft right now, and for a browser to deserve money against free solutions it has to be at least as powerful - if not more.

Scoff it off if you must, but adblocking is an important feature for a lot of people browsing the web these days.

You CAN block Flash ads. And scripts, images, applets -- any URL. You just need to find out the URL first. Some sites have made this obviously difficult, since they need those ads for revenue.

You can read this thread: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=991 for a way to download a list of known ad servers and add it to OW's ad-blocker. The ingenious method is admittedly a little difficult, but it works with such a long list.

You can also visit http://pgl.yoyo.org for lists of known ad servers.

I have blocked 99% of the Ads, including Flash, on the sites I visit with a combination of OW's ad blocker and custom CSS files.