The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Window position bug still not fixed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, no, it doesn't. ;-) I just tested:

Saved window size, closed the window, opened a new one. It was cascaded. [Edit: No other windows were open.]

So this isn't even intended, but a bug?

I'm saying that i can't reproduce what you're describing.

If all the windows are closed the next window that gets opened should be in the saved position.

Can you repro this in a fresh workspace? Perhaps there's something weird going on and the browser thinks there's an open window even though there isn't...

I'm not sure here, I think I see what Troy describes.

-- position and save window size
-- drag window to weird location
-- close it
-- file > new window

The new window is in the position (and size) where I saved it earlier, no "cascade".

I mentioned this before but just to reiterate, OmniWeb will move the saved position off of edges by a few (several?) pixels. So make sure this isn't what you're seeing.

I just tested with a new workspace, and I'm still seeing the same. But: It seems I really see what you mentioned, Troyb. It works if I use some position anywhere on the desktop, but not in the top left corner where I prefer OW to stay. I just didn't count what I saw as a "few" pixels, as this must be 15px at least, if not more. :-) It's just as wide as the title bar of a window—that's why I thought it was cascaded.

So why do you move new windows off the edge? You don't do this with saved workspace positions—which is the behaviour I would prefer, personally. If it is in order to be sure that the user didn't save a position off screen, setting it to 0,0 would be enough, wouldn't it?

We move the window off the side of the screen to allow space for the tab drawer. I don't have a real reason for why it gets moved down from the top (balancing maybe? I don't know). We have a bug to allow saving window position hard against the top of the screen.

Wonderful, thanks.

Just an idea: Could this window moving respect the preference setting on which side the tab drawer should open? My tab drawer always opens to the right, so there's no use moving the window in order to have space for the tab drawer on the left.

That seems reasonable to me. In general I'm not really against the idea of allowing it to save hard against the side of the window either just so long as the drawer is taken into consideration. We'd have to move the window or something when the tab drawer comes out because I don't think it would be good if it opened off screen.

Ah! Now I get the point. :-)

I always thought windows were automatically repositioned/resized by the system when a drawer was opened too close to the edge of the screen. So I didn't see why space would be needed. Thanks for the illumination. ;-)

Ok. So it would be good if the drawer side preference was taken into account, or alternatively, if the window was repositioned and/or resized when a drawer opens—in a way that the whole drawer is onscreen. OTOH the latter might not be what people want when having a maximized window.

Last edited by zottel; 2006-12-21 at 01:19 PM..

I think it does happen automatically actually but I've encountered a few instances where it doesn't move that could be confusing. Some people find the moving to create room for the drawer to be jarring so we try to leave room to prevent this from happening.