The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alarm or reminder? [A: Yes, if Growl is installed.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello ! I am a new OF user on my mac and also on my iPhone.
Is it possible to set an alarm, a reminder, that play when I set it ? If I need a reminder at 11:00 is it possible to set an alarm for it ?
Thank you.

No alarms. If you have what's called a "hard" task (something that has to be done on a particular day, and only on that day), then use iCal and set the alarm from there.

To add to what Pierre said, if you install Growl on your Mac your can get alarms for OmniFocus events on the desktop. Because of how Growl works, you configure the Growl reminders by using the Growl preference pane in System Preferences. (Essentially, OF tells Growl about important events like "task available" or "task due". You tell Growl whether or not you want a reminder to display for these events.)

Curt

The only trick is you need to set Growl to, for those reminders, stay up until you close. I have growl setup, but I only see those reminders if I'm at my Mac, because they are only up for about 5 seconds and then they fade away (Just the way I want it).

Wow - wouldn't it be great if OF did more of what Jott did? That would be worth the money for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by themothertucker View Post
Wow - wouldn't it be great if OF did more of what Jott did? That would be worth the money for sure
Much as I love OF the lack of reminders is killing me - I agree w/mothertucker some JOTT like features would be neat work around!

Just to make sure you're not sure of how to change the growl notifications to always stay on the screen, here's what you can do:

I always set my OmniFocus growl settings to keep the reminders on the screen until I close it.

Make sure you go to System Preferences > Growl.

Click on Applications and select OmniFocus.
Select the Notification to whichever setting you want: Task Available, Task Due Soon, Task overdue

Set the popup menu for "Stay on screen" to "Always"

That way, your growl notification will stay on until you decide to close it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
That way, your growl notification will stay on until you decide to close it.
One of the benefits of this setting is that the Growl notification when clicked on the OF icon will take you directly to a new OF window with the corresponding action selected.

It needs to work in the iPhone version too. This is a feature that needs to be added and has been asked for many, many times.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
It needs to work in the iPhone version too.
Does anyone know if Apple's upcoming push notification service allows messages to be scheduled for delivery at a specific time? In other words, could the Mac or iPhone version of OmniFocus post a message to the service to be delivered, say, three hours from now?

If not, how would this work on the iPhone? If OmniFocus is not currently running on your iPhone and your Mac is off, what would initiate the push notification at the designated time?

Just wondering...

-Dennis