The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duplicate entries in iCal & OmniFocus, or items being moved to OF inbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
>>>In OmniFocus you are thought to sync with 'iCal' but if you are using OmniFocus on more than one Mac you are in problems if you do just that. You should only sync with the Sync Services on /one/ Mac as the synced tasks are automatically synced to the other Macs through MobileMe. If you sync from OmniFocus to the Sync Services on two Macs [laptop and desktop] you will get circular syncs - and lots of duplicates. OmniFocus tasks synced to the Sync Services on Computer 1, synced to Computer 2 through MobileMe without the use of the Sync Service's extensibility, can simply not be recognized by OmniFocus on Computer 2 as the same tasks it receives through MobileMe's iDisk.

I figured this out on my own after thinking about it for awhile (have two Macs and iPhone which I sync via MobileMe. Got the duplicating (then quad, then 8x, etc.) to dos, and after thinking about it, realized that it must be that OF on my work computer had no way of recognizing the to dos in iCal as the synced-up actions from OF on my home computer. So I simply pulled all the OF Context—iCal Calendar assignments on the work computer, cleared out my sync database and synced from home. Problem solved. However, this means getting on to the home computer with some regularity in order to keep all syncs current. Oh, well.

I was bad about syncing with iCal from my Macbook, but I did it the other day, and I think I know what may have happened for me. I think I had to-do's in the calendar from when I had my blackberry. When I got an iPhone, I simply copied a lot of them by cut and pasting them into the OF inbox (i didn't know about the iCal sync at the time), and somehow lately, I synced, and then a lot of completed actions came back into the inbox. To top it off, some other actions switched contexts on me (mainly from Mac:Online to Errands).

It was weird. I just tried something, I backed everything up, turned off iCal syncing (meaning I reset it so there were no contexts syncing) and then deleted all my iCal todos (since I have them all in OF anyway). Then I set up the iCal sync and it appears to be okay.

I'm just not sure, why when I did the last sync that it didn't get rid of some completed actions in iCal, then wanted to put them back in.

Any new ideas on this?

Thanks for your help, I'm new to the forum

Jason