The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

underlining, bulleting, margins, notes, find/replace Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, I am new to omnioutliner - using pro. I've read a million past threads and the pdf manual- my questions don't seem to be answered in there- but if the answers are all somewhere else just point me in the right direction.

1. Underlining
while I like the three different underline options, I only need one of them (for now - we'll see what happens once I become an addict). How can I set my default template to disregard the double and patterned underlining options when I press command-U? If there's no option available in OO, is there a script lingering out there? Underlining is difficult to see as it is and when I type (fast) I can't always keep track of how many times I've typed the keystroke and next thing I know an entire row has two underlines.

2. bullets
how do I change default bulleting? it's easier to see when each level has a different bullet. Right now I'm doing this weird prefix/suffix copy paste thing for each group of children, changing how I want to view the triangles (never, under mouse, always) and it takes forever. and next thing i know the style is mysteriously permanent and all my rows in a particular level/section have checkmarks as a bullet and "never" show the original triangles... this happens even when i turn off the autostyling - where did I go wrong and what can I do to prevent my rows from overriding my bullet choices?

My menu application enhancer doesn't play nice with OO so I have no keystroke for the symbols palatte in the menu-how can i drag that sucker to the toolbar?

also- count my vote for different bullet colors. my printer is racist and won't print in black. right now I'm exporting to rtf, opening in Word, and changing color from there. kinda sucks.

also #2- under "advanced" for viewing the bullets (never, under mouse, always)- feature request - can you include an option to keep indentation the same regardless of which bulleting choice I've picked? if I've got "never" checked off, the row's children are indented accordingly. then when I invariably change my mind it's a whole new process.

3. margins
Like I said I'm a newbie, but I just get so lost w/arranging the margins and headers in OO Page Setup. is there documentation explaining this?

4. notes
I seem to be lost on how to control notes- are there just simply less formatting options? Sometimes a note appears to be indented further under certain rows and it's weird. and kind of bothering me, since the point of notes is to type a thought that is not technically considered a child- at a minimum, notes are indented to the same degree as children, and sometimes to a further degree. How do I change this? I'd like to keep notes flush left with the corresponding row.

5. feature request- powerful find/replace!!

6. ok, what on earth are "chits"- those weird fuzzy white boxes that appear when I select all level # rows?

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg521
1. Underlining
while I like the three different underline options, I only need one of them (for now - we'll see what happens once I become an addict). How can I set my default template to disregard the double and patterned underlining options when I press command-U? If there's no option available in OO, is there a script lingering out there? Underlining is difficult to see as it is and when I type (fast) I can't always keep track of how many times I've typed the keystroke and next thing I know an entire row has two underlines.
This will be addressed in OmniOutliner 4. There's no way to limit the options cycled through with cmd-U.

Quote:
2. bullets
how do I change default bulleting? it's easier to see when each level has a different bullet. Right now I'm doing this weird prefix/suffix copy paste thing for each group of children, changing how I want to view the triangles (never, under mouse, always) and it takes forever. and next thing i know the style is mysteriously permanent and all my rows in a particular level/section have checkmarks as a bullet and "never" show the original triangles... this happens even when i turn off the autostyling - where did I go wrong and what can I do to prevent my rows from overriding my bullet choices?
If you applied these prefixes when automatic level styles was on, then it would explain this behavior. Turn it off after you've applied the styles won't revert what it's already done. Select one of the rows and look at the Style Attributes inspector. Most likely the prefix style is set to be inherited from it's parent row. You can click the 'x' to the right of that to remove it from the level.

Quote:
My menu application enhancer doesn't play nice with OO so I have no keystroke for the symbols palatte in the menu-how can i drag that sucker to the toolbar?
You can set up a keyboard shortcut for it through the keyboard preferences for OS X. Search in the OS help for 'Creating keyboard shortcuts for applications'.

Quote:
also- count my vote for different bullet colors. my printer is racist and won't print in black. right now I'm exporting to rtf, opening in Word, and changing color from there. kinda sucks.
Done

Quote:
also #2- under "advanced" for viewing the bullets (never, under mouse, always)- feature request - can you include an option to keep indentation the same regardless of which bulleting choice I've picked? if I've got "never" checked off, the row's children are indented accordingly. then when I invariably change my mind it's a whole new process.
So you want an invisible handle mode option then. I'll enter a request for that.

Quote:
3. margins
Like I said I'm a newbie, but I just get so lost w/arranging the margins and headers in OO Page Setup. is there documentation explaining this?
Aside from what's in the help file no. What exactly are you confused with? If it's not mentioned in the help file it may be because it act the same as it would anywhere else in the app.

Quote:
4. notes
I seem to be lost on how to control notes- are there just simply less formatting options? Sometimes a note appears to be indented further under certain rows and it's weird. and kind of bothering me, since the point of notes is to type a thought that is not technically considered a child- at a minimum, notes are indented to the same degree as children, and sometimes to a further degree. How do I change this? I'd like to keep notes flush left with the corresponding row.
Notes use the same indentation as child rows. This unfortunately means you can't change the note indentation without effecting that row's children. When you see notes indented more then children, I would bet this is because you have handles turned off one those children. We may separate the note indentation with children in the future.

Quote:
5. feature request- powerful find/replace!!
Details? What are you looking for?

Quote:
6. ok, what on earth are "chits"- those weird fuzzy white boxes that appear when I select all level # rows?
Chits represent the style of the item they correspond to. Graphically, they will try to resemble the styles set. They can be dragged around to other chits to apply it to that item.

What you see when you've selected a all level # rows is the style view. If you turn on the styles view and hover the cursor over them, it will tell you what each chit represents.

Would like to know if there is a way to get just one underline option

One underline option for what/how? Is this the same question as before in regards to using cmd-u?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
One underline option for what/how? Is this the same question as before in regards to using cmd-u?
Currently, if you use CMD-U, there are 3 underline options. I just want one. How can I configure OmniOutliner to get this.

Well, despite being a over year old response, it's still accurate. There's currently no way to limit what underline options cmd-u cycles through with OmniOutliner 3. This should be addressed in OmniOutliner 4 though, sorry.