The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Are contexts superfluous? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Contexts are a sticking point for me, and I would really appreciate your perspective on their use.

I understand the point of contexts in limiting one's to-do list to what can actually be worked on here and now. It makes perfect sense for someone like David Allen who is always running here and there and, quite often I imagine, finds himself with time on his hands and needs to know what he can do, there and then.

I never find myself in that situation, and I'm curious how many of us do. Personally, I feel like my use of contexts is artificial. "Errands", for example, is often used as a context but how often do we find ourselves out and about with time on our hands and so, upon checking our "errands" lists, discover there are a number of things we can do? Personally, I compile a list of what I need to do before leaving, then go and do it, then come home.

As technology marches on when DON'T we have access to a phone, to our email, to the internet? Are contexts indicating what tasks depend upon those resources necessary when we have them available to us 24/7?

As a wedding photographer working from home, just about everything I need to capture, process and do takes place in one physical location (my home) in which are present all of the resources I need to accomplish the actions on my list.

I'm finding myself using contexts as a sort of tagging system, dividing tasks by type of work, but this seems redundant to using folders and working out of the Planning view.

So... does anyone find themselves in a similar situation? What effective uses have you found for contexts? Is anyone else beginning to feel they're superfluous as more and more resources are available to us at all times?

I appreciate your input.