The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Import tasks from Outlook Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

I use Microsoft Outlook at my work, and I use Outlook's built-in task as GTD-management on my office-PC. It would be great if you could sync those to the OmniFocus inbox. As of now, I have to enter each Outlook-task manually in the iPhone and manage them separately - which is very ineffiecent and time consuming.

I'm looking at the exquisitely painful transition from a Palm to an iPhone.

Did I mention this isn't pleasant?

Anyway, I need to move Palm tasks to OmniFocus before I can decide if it's worth investing in. They currently live in Outlook, so it's trivial to deliver them as a tab delimited file, a CSV file, etc. I don't simplifying RTF to plain text.

Problem is, I don't think this is supported in OmniFocus.

I do own OmniOutliner Professional. Can I import from OOP to OF? If so I could move data in a couple of steps.

In a slighly longer term, I do need the ability to both import and export from OmniFocus, otherwise I get that "locked in" taste in my mouth, and that's no fun.

I don't really have a good answer for getting data directly from Outlook on a PC to OmniFocus for iPhone.

If you're on a mac though, our desktop client does offer several import and export options including to / from CSV and import from OmniOutliner. You do not need to have a license for the desktop client, though you do need to be within the demo period.

I'll file a request in our tracker for exporting iPhone data.

I tried the Outlook -> tab delimited -> Mac/OO Pro route, but OO Pro import was pretty mangled.

Details below:

I first tried exporting from Outlook as tab delimited data, but OmniOutliner Pro couldn't handle the notes portion. It didn't appear as a proper column. (Ideally a Task Note would be a child of a OO line item of course.)

I figured it was messed up by the CRs, so I then went from Outlook to Access then Access to a tab delimited export using only five column types.

That failed OO Pro import too.

I suspect this is going to take some looking at!

Last edited by jfaughnan; 2008-07-18 at 02:39 PM..

You might want to send a request in to our ninjas as well. And if you can include a sampling of the export that may be helpful. I think it would be reasonable for us to support a way to get actions from outlook into OmniFocus somehow. This isn't an overnight solution of course but down the road may produce something...

I'll pass on the Ninja request Troy, hope this thread was enough.

If all else fails I'll have to figure out how to translate tab delimited data into OPML, then feed the OPML to OmniOutliner Pro, then import the OO Pro data into OmniFocus.

Pretty sad really.

BTW, It would be really terrific if the OmniGroup would sign up with Data Portablility.org: http://www.dataportability.org/