The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GTD + Notes question (slightly OT) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Interesting, as this is precisely why I don't care for using iDisk, or DropBox, to access my documents on the go! I just find 3G too slow to access large documents. Also, I still have to deal with Edge a good bit of the time, which makes a cloud approach totally unusable.
That's completely understandable! I'm fortunate that I rarely seem to be outside of wifi access let alone 3G!

In my case, I hadn't realised the benefits of download-on-demand until I was forced to move over from OmniFocus to FileMaker for business GTD. The ability to access c. 500G of data on the go was a revelation.

I used to stuff OF with loads of attachments, pictures, voice, PDFs, etc. but the ability to offload those files (currently about 10G's worth!) onto iDisk and just leave links in the notes fields of OF has been great.

As I said in my previous post, at the moment I prefer the simplicity, ease of linking and the access to those files from within OF over DevonThink but hopefully that will change soon enough, given that this is only the first release of DTTG.

Quote:
You do not need to convert the note, just change is somehow and save it (e.g. add a space at the end of the text). The bug doesn't pick up that the document has been changed, which is why it doesn't sync back. Saving the text note will trigger the sync, and move it to the new folder.
I'm not doing something right here. I just tried doing this a few different ways but it still does not work for me. I create the text note in DTTG, sync it to DT, move it to the appropriate folder and make a change, re-sync to DTTG but it still does not show up in DTTG in the appropriate folder, it stays in the Global Inbox unchanged. I have tried the process a few different ways (sync while in Global Inbox, make changes to the note on DT and then move - no go, make changes to the note on DTTG and re-sync - no go, etc., etc.) I will keep trying, I have a feeling that I just need to get the process down correctly.

As with you, I too do not like to have my reference docs stored in the cloud. It takes too long to retrieve them and are not always available. I do like to have them backed up though, which is a good function of keeping them cloud based. I switched to DEVONthink for many reasons, but being able to sync DT with DTTG and have my docs immediately available (no cloud access) on my iPad is the main reason. The link between OmniFocus and DTTG is priceless in my opinion. Many of my projects are short lived (days/weeks) and only have minimal reference docs, but some of them are large and last 12-24 months with many reference documents that I need to refer to on a regular basis. This process allows me to do that in a very easy way without having to leave OF. Now that I am running iOS 4.2GM and can easily switch between apps (multitasking) it is even better.

You make good points but I'm holding out for the promised DTTG cloud-based syncing in the future! Like you Atreinke, I'm a fan of the secondary backup that linking via the cloud gives and you can store up to 500M of material locally on your iDevice with iDisk if desired. I also like the email into OF desktop from the iDisk App that puts the link and all the relevant info regarding the linked file into the note field of an action, the ability for other people to freely add OF-associated material to my public folder, share links on my own or others iDisk that can be accessed in OF, and that you can move the files about the iDisk without breaking the link!

I imagine in the future I'll switch fully to DT/DTTG as it matures but in the meantime at least I've found another use for MobileMe, especially for the dosh Apple charges for it! I'd certainly recommend to other Members that they consider the iDisk solution if they have MM and are mainly interested in linking files to actions as unless you want the other facilities that DT/DTTG offers, it isn't exactly a bargain.

As always, YMMV. :)

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-11-07 at 09:07 AM..

I'm one of the folks that can't get DTTG to sync at all. I started out with no sync group, on the debug version I have now I at least get a sync group but still can't get DTTG connected to my machine at all. However, I'm looking at replacing Evernote because of not liking cloud sync. I want my data on my handheld no matter what, I don't want to have my private data on some machine I have no control or access to. I also am frequently with no wifi access and use an iPod Touch because of poor ATT service where I am.

I am thinking of using it to provide a searchable index of larger documents and carry the smaller ones with me. I currently link my OF tasks with data in the notes field that indicates that there may be additional data in an Evernote note or in a file on my machine or even in a paper file.

DT does have much more robust sorting,and organizing functions. I can create many folders and it handles many types of data much better than Evernote. It's also a lot easier to pull stuff out of DT if you need to, Evernote is terrible about getting stuff in well but making it nearly impossible to get anything out except as a webarchive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
I will keep trying, I have a feeling that I just need to get the process down correctly.
Perhaps you have already tried this, but make sure that you let some time elapse between syncing, editing, and then re-syncing. When testing I found that I had to let a minimum of 3-4 minutes elapse between each step of the cycle. This is especially applicable if there is a time difference between your Mac and your iOS devices (quite possible, even when both are set to sync with a time server).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogiem View Post
DT does have much more robust sorting,and organizing functions. I can create many folders and it handles many types of data much better than Evernote. It's also a lot easier to pull stuff out of DT if you need to, Evernote is terrible about getting stuff in well but making it nearly impossible to get anything out except as a webarchive.
This is the exact reason I stopped using Evernote. I loved the way I could sync everything (Macbook, PC, iPad, Iphone - PC being the biggest since I have to use that at work). But the lack of folders (flat filing system) and organizational structure in Evernote finally did me in.

Quote:
Perhaps you have already tried this, but make sure that you let some time elapse between syncing, editing, and then re-syncing. When testing I found that I had to let a minimum of 3-4 minutes elapse between each step of the cycle. This is especially applicable if there is a time difference between your Mac and your iOS devices (quite possible, even when both are set to sync with a time server).
I will give this a shot and see if that was my problem. I was doing each step right after the last without any waiting in between. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
I could just use a collection of text files, but, I'd rather use a tool (preferably OF), to hold everything (Todo's & information) in one place.
I do the notes in Evernote. Evernote can use Folders and Tags to keep related items 'together' is easily searchable and is free to start with. It works across all Mac Platforms, plus Windows, Blackberry and Android.

Worth a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
I do the notes in Evernote. Evernote can use Folders and Tags to keep related items 'together' is easily searchable and is free to start with. It works across all Mac Platforms, plus Windows, Blackberry and Android.

Worth a look.

I'm looking into this now. I've also looked at DT (I don't need to store files, so this is overkill), Tomboy (Close -- this might work), and, simple text files with markdown or emacs orgmode.