The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Effort-driven Planning? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

Before downloading and trying OmniPlan, I wanted to ask whether the application allows effort-driven planning. In our projects, we generally estimate the effort that tasks will take (manhours), as opposed to setting a desired duration. We then like to assign resources to tasks in order to get the calendar schedule to fit whatever deadlines might exist.

Does OmniPlan support this way of scheduling?

Kind regards,

--
Matt Henderson | MakaluMedia Group
| Software Systems Engineering & Consultancy
| http://makalumedia.com/
| matt@makalumedia.com

Yes, OmniPlan supports this concept. Task planning is effort-driven by default, but you can switch tasks to duration-driven if they have a fixed duration, regardless of the number of people involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Yes, OmniPlan supports this concept. Task planning is effort-driven by default, but you can switch tasks to duration-driven if they have a fixed duration, regardless of the number of people involved.
I would love to do this. How does that work?

The concept of assigning work based upon % of a person's time is perhaps one way of doing it, but I would venture that most people calculate in Mandays or Manhours. Using %'s is most irritating because one is forced to make constant calculations to convert mandays to time % in order to enter the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac838 View Post
I would love to do this. How does that work?
To do this, select the task and bring up the Task : Information inspector. You should see icons that look like a silhouette of two people. Clicking on one or the other will toggle the task between fixed effort or fixed duration.

Last edited by skwirl; 2009-01-19 at 12:42 AM..