The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Contextual Menus in r89532 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello there!

I just bumped up to r89532 this evening, and one thing that is throwing me for a loop is the new order for the contextual menus.

Putting 'Copy' and 'Start Speaking' at the top messes with my automatic mouse movements to either open in a new/behind window or new/behind tab.

Could those items be moved down in the menus so that the old learned locations are still good?

Thanks for the consideration.

SC

Actually, this is where they've always been, but only when text is selected under the mouse. Try clicking on another spot on the page and see if things look more familiar.

Text selection has changed a bit in the sneaky peeks, right clicking on a word will select it now. This is more inline with the standard system behaviors for text.

Well, not to disagree with you, as I'm sure you know your product better than I do, but....

I've never seen these until I used the current Sneaky Peak. Also, the contextual menus aren't even consistent. Sometimes they have the extra options, and sometimes they don't!

Have I been doing something wrong with the right mouse button for the last few years?

SC

Well, if you aren't right clicking a word, they won't show up because there isn't any text to speak or copy.

FWIW, there does appear to a be a bug in this - the Open in New Page.... options are often disappearing as well.

FWIW 2, I not sure if I like this new behaviour either - it is visually distracting. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcraft View Post
Well, not to disagree with you, as I'm sure you know your product better than I do, but....

I've never seen these until I used the current Sneaky Peak. Also, the contextual menus aren't even consistent. Sometimes they have the extra options, and sometimes they don't!

Have I been doing something wrong with the right mouse button for the last few years?

SC
As JKT mentioned, this is the exact same behavior you'd get in older versions if you had text selected before right clicking. The only difference is that the right click is selecting text for you as it does in text areas and other text editors like TectEdit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Well, if you aren't right clicking a word, they won't show up because there isn't any text to speak or copy.

FWIW, there does appear to a be a bug in this - the Open in New Page.... options are often disappearing as well.

FWIW 2, I not sure if I like this new behaviour either - it is visually distracting. ;-)
I should say that this is new to us as well. It appeared with the latest WebKit update and wasn't something we added ourselves.

I'm only seeing the bug you're encountering when clicking on links. This actually isn't new but just the way the context menu appears if you click on a link that is also selected. It's reproducible in 5.5.4 as well.

I'm noticing that even if you have text selected, if the right click doesn't happen *on* the selected text (say the right click happens in the whitespace around the text), you get the contextual menu for where you right-clicked, not for the selected text.

I can see it getting a little weird with the auto-word selection--the whitespace in between words gets selected if you accidentally move the mouse at all.

Well, I must have been dodging the bullet for the last few years somehow...

I have never bothered to look where I click on a link, but I guess I will have to now. :(

SC

Checking up on this and it does appear to be a 'fix' in webkit.

http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/changeset/24499

We backed this change out and things should return to the previous behavior in the next build.