The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

pasting into OO Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It often happens that I have a bunch of items, separated by carriage returns, in some other app, that I want to paste into OO. I want them to come out as separate items, not a single one. The only way I know to do this is to insert control-returns in between the items after pasting them into OO as one.

Is there a shortcut that would allow me to paste and automatically get the items to be separate? Even better, one where tabbed items are correctly indented as children?

If not, it would be a nice feature for OO4. "Paste as outline" or something.

--Henri

To get a multi-row paste to work, all you have to do is be sure that you've clicked on the row handle before doing the paste. You'll get a separate row for each line (same applies in OmniFocus, btw). Otherwise, you'll get a multi-line row, as you know.

I was going to cobble up a quick script to turn rows starting with tabs into child rows, but I see upon constructing my test case that OO already handles it!

Code:
This is a row
	This is a child row
	This is another child row
This is a top-level row
This is another top-level row
	This is a child row #1
		This is a child of a child row
	This is a child row #2
This is a final top-level row
when selected, copied and pasted as described above yields

Wow! I wish I had known this.