The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

sorting Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorting no longer works for me. If I try to sort this by priority, item B ends up at the bottom:

Topic Priority
A 1
B (2, inherited from sub-item b)
b 2
C 3

Is there a way to make it work (as it did in OO3) that I did not find, or is it a bug?

--Henri

Is this a number column with a summary set? Or how is 2 inherited?

It's a pop-up menu column, consisting of the numbers 1, 2, 3. And yes, the inheritance is by way of summary.

This very file was sorted correctly in OO3.

Weird. First, I was not able to reproduce the problem with a new file. But then, it fixed itself in the problem file! Apologies for the false alarm.

However, I'm not happy with the new behavior.

In OO3, if I sorted by priorities (1, 2, 3), the 1's went to the top, and the rows with empty cells in that column went after the 3's. In OO4, the empty cells (perhaps interpreted as 0) go to the top and priorities 1-3 go to the end. That makes this really inconvenient, as I presumably would need to put a 4 in the dozens and dozens of rows that have an empty cell if I want to get 1, 2, 3 to the top.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

--Henri

There is a bug in the sorting code we need to fix.

While you're at it, see if you can figure out why (in "keep sorted" situations) the topics which have an empty cell in the sort column sometimes have their order reversed. I have not had time to figure out what triggers that, but it's frustrating. (This was already happening in OO3.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
There is a bug in the sorting code we need to fix.
Aargh! Same problem with dates! If I keep an outline sorted by a date column, rows in which there is no date indicated are sorted ahead of rows with today's date! That's absurd, and it's ruining my life!

Please, please fix this! The fact that OO4 looks cooler shouldn't be at the expense of making it unusable! Sorry about the drama, but

much of my life is organized around OmniOutliner, and the upgrade has turned out to be quite disruptive.

Hopefully
this is the bug you're referring to, and it will be fixed in the next release.

A workaround is to group by the first sorting criteria (create groups manually) and then sort by the second criteria only.