The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
How to *just* select a Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm stumped. When I have a list of collapsed projects, I don't know how to quickly select one without expanding it or ending up in Project Title Edit Mode.

There's a very tiny piece of real estate of about one square millimeter to the left of the Project's expand/collapse triangle, which if you click inside, you can successfully select the Project without expanding it or ending up in title edit mode. But that's a tough hand-eye coordination challenge, especially since I need to do this dozens of times a day.

Any other easy way to *just* select?

--Sandy Santra
 
Not at this time.

Please file official feedback with Omni about this. I did, and discussed it with a support ninja. I'm not sure they think the current behavior is broken (I do!) and it would be very good if more users complained about it.

I think clicking on the little document icon should just select the project.

BTW, a project doesn't actually have to be selected to add actions to it. Hitting return or the "Add action" button should work even if the project isn't selected.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I'm stumped. When I have a list of collapsed projects, I don't know how to quickly select one without expanding it or ending up in Project Title Edit Mode.

Any other easy way to *just* select?

--Sandy Santra

One way is to select the project in the Library in the sidebar.
 
Done. Thanks.

This was/is actually MUCH worse in iGTD. Triple and quadruple clicks are sometimes required to accomplish simple editing and/or selection tasks; and exiting a task can be an absolute nightmare (with neither <enter> nor <esc> working!).

I would prefer to keep the functionality of the triangle itself, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not at this time.

Please file official feedback with Omni about this. I did, and discussed it with a support ninja. I'm not sure they think the current behavior is broken (I do!) and it would be very good if more users complained about it.

I think clicking on the little document icon should just select the project.

BTW, a project doesn't actually have to be selected to add actions to it. Hitting return or the "Add action" button should work even if the project isn't selected.
 
But the sidebar display list doesn't always match the Planning box list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
One way is to select the project in the Library in the sidebar.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
But the sidebar display list doesn't always match the Planning box list.
That's interesting. I don't doubt you, but I don't think I have ever seen that happen. My side bar list and my outline list are always the same. What do you do that makes them not match?

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-10-04 at 10:23 AM..
 
Searches.

When you search, the right side displays only the results of the search. Th e left side shows everything. If you then select an item on the left, nothing shows up on the right because of the search criteria.

This may not be what santra meant, but it's one way it can be confusing.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Searches.

When you search, the right side displays only the results of the search. Th e left side shows everything. If you then select an item on the left, nothing shows up on the right because of the search criteria.
Thanks. I rarely do searches, so I probably just never noticed it.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think clicking on the little document icon should just select the project.
Don't worry, we agree. Hopefully we'll get to that bug soon.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
That's interesting. I don't doubt you, but I don't think I have ever seen that happen. My side bar list and my outline list are always the same. What do you do that makes them not match?
I get the difference frequently. Changing the type of project in the sidebar can cause the two to get out of sync. Selecting a different item in the sidebar updates the display. This is a bug that seems to come and go.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Select behind artdog OmniGraffle General 3 2010-09-09 02:50 AM
Search for a Project to select it? watchit OmniFocus for iPad 6 2010-08-13 12:58 AM
select all in sidebar etc. Craig OmniFocus Extras 6 2009-09-22 12:06 PM
How to select? davidamis OmniFocus Extras 2 2009-04-08 09:09 AM
Marking Project as Reviewed Does not select next project SpiralOcean OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2007-11-11 09:25 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.