The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Someday/Maybe/On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to both omnifocus and GTD, so I hope you will help me clear this up. Where should "some day/maybe"-projects go? Should they be put in a context, a folder, a bucket, a project?

I think there are various schools of thought on this - there's no one hardwired way to do this.

I keep mine as projects within areas-of-responsbility folders that are themselves within a Someday/Maybe folder that is set (via contextual menu) as not active. That keeps the whole shebang hidden unless I'm viewing All Projects.

I currently keep my "someday soon" items in OmniFocus as regular projects that are marked "On Hold" (by right-clicking in the sidebar or using the inspector). My longer term someday/maybe items I keep in a separate OmniOutliner document. Having my more far out ideas outside of OF seems to give me permission to dream a bit more.

Curt

Thank you Curt. This works well. As I understand you, for you "status: on hold" is synonymous with someday/maybe, right?

Thank you Craig. It works. It took me a little while to find how to make folders inactive, but now I found it (ctrl-click on the folder).

Last edited by lanthano; 2007-12-19 at 12:56 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanthano View Post
Thank you Curt. This works well. As I understand you, for you "status: on hold" is synonymous with someday/maybe, right?
Mostly. On hold for me is for the someday/maybe items that I am committed to sufficiently so that I've started doing some planning on them.

Curt

What would be the right way to deal with the 'someday/maybe' category of GTD?
Things from the inbox go there to be done at some point, but not right now. For example 'learning Spanish'.

I could set the status of such a project to 'hold'. But that rather means that the project is waiting for an external event to continue. (The GTD category: 'Waiting for')

Does OmniFocus offer a clever way of dealing with this case?

Is Someday/Maybe a context of a Project?

I use this as both a Project and also as a Context.

It works for me.