The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Beta Quality Software Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
As much as I like OF and Omni in general, it's become pretty clear to me after fighting to get WebDAV synching to work for the past 3 days that this feature is not ready for prime time.

At first I thought there might be a couple bugs left that the sheer number of new users uncovered, but by now it's pretty obvious that it's more than a couple bugs... It's totally beta quality.

Which is fine... I understand that the way Apple setup the App Store makes it more difficult to beta test because you can't get people to download beta preview versions. BUT they were a few things that sort of ticked me off in the "read me first" sticky:

- Don't tell me to buy a mobile me account. Just don't... I backup all my work every night via cron and rsync, I wrote my own photo gallery, and cube mail works just fine. I'm sure mobile me is great but I didn't wait for Apple to get this functionality on my Mac... It's fine to mention it once, but stop being pushy about it. I don't need it, don't want it, and no I will not get it just to synch OF.

- "There are a lot of factors that are out of our hands" is I guess the one that compelled me to write this post... Don't make it sound like WebDAV is super tricky and there was no way you could have avoided the initial problems. WebDAV is a standard protocol used all over the place. If you have difficulties setting it up with OF, maybe you can contract the guys at Panic... Transmit (FTP app with WevDAV capability) connects fine to any WebDAV disk you throw at...

In short: a "WebDAV support is still beta, we'll let you know when it's ready for prime time" disclaimer on launch day would have been plenty for me, as opposed to a "There are a lot of factors that are out of our hands" 3 days later.

I'll keep on beta testing for you and sending bug reports... but seriously, the problem is not WebDAV, it is Omni Focus, so don't try to shift the blame...

Thanks.