The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus doesn't remember window position Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It is magical, except when it isn't :-)

I wonder if your preferences file has gotten corrupted. Quit OmniFocus. In the Finder, do Go->Go to Folder... and enter ~/Library/Preferences then click the Go button. Now find the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist file and rename it to something else and relaunch OmniFocus. See if the undesired behavior persists. If it doesn't, mail the corrupted file to omnifocus@omnigroup.com and ask them to figure out what went wrong. You'll need to re-enter any of your preferences that you changed.

If it doesn't do the trick, then you might as well move the old one back and contact Omni support directly.
Deleting the preferences file worked for me. Thanks!

I've been seeing this problem (or a variant) since the recent upgrade (the one that changed the icon). I generally keep two windows (perspectives) open: Inbox, and a custom To Do Today perspective. Used to be that when I restarted OF, these would both open, in the locations where they were when I previously closed OF. Now, one (the custom perspective) opens, but Inbox does not.

I looked at the OF plist file and don't find a field called LastWindowPosition at all...

I was having the same issue, and the closing the file, quitting, and relaunching did not fix it. Deleting the pref file did. I lost my customizations, but those can be fixed fairly easily, and at least I don't groan every few days as I have to resize the dang diddley dang window!

Gracias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
I've been seeing this problem (or a variant) since the recent upgrade (the one that changed the icon). I generally keep two windows (perspectives) open: Inbox, and a custom To Do Today perspective. Used to be that when I restarted OF, these would both open, in the locations where they were when I previously closed OF. Now, one (the custom perspective) opens, but Inbox does not.

I looked at the OF plist file and don't find a field called LastWindowPosition at all...
Like padawan.omni, I tried deleting the plist, but it didn't solve the problem. But now I wonder if this is a "feature": is it possible for OF to remember more than one window that is open? I like to keep two windows open, with different perspectives. One of them opens when I restart OF, but only one.

OmniFocus will normally remember the positions of all of your document windows. If your .plist file is corrupted, or can't be written, you might have problems. If it isn't remembering your windows, contact the support ninjas for assistance.

Sorry for a "me too" post. This is about the LastWindowPosition key in the plist file.

That file is in text format. So you can easily edit it with TextEdit.

I started having this problem right after customizing my styles. I've never had the problem before and have never before customized my styles.

I quite OmniFocus, removed the key and value from the file, then restarted OmniFocus. From then on the window position was remembered. I use a single window. From then on, after opening, closing, repositioning, and repeating that key never reappeared in the plist file.

A possible explanation is that the offending key is interfering with another key that OmniFocus uses. The offending key is only introduced and updated by OmniFocus in certain situations.

If the key and the problem reappear I'll remember what I did in the session before the problem and report back here.