The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MS Exchange integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For any app like OmniFocus, OO or OmniGraffle I would love to sync with Tasks to My corp Exchange Server, even to import and export tasks from my team members. Any experience here ? AppleScripts ?

CU on the bitstream, Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainG
For any app like OmniFocus, OO or OmniGraffle I would love to sync with Tasks to My corp Exchange Server, even to import and export tasks from my team members. Any experience here ? AppleScripts ?

CU on the bitstream, Alain
Although I have no idea if this is true, it appears that OmniPlan is going to be the hub, and task will be able to be exported to OmniFocus. Although I wish everyone I work with was on a mac, I am the minority mac guy at work. It would be nice to have some kind of exchange integration. If Omni does it, it may be a couple years down the road.

Applescript may be able to generate an email that could be sent to exchange to be put into exchanges calendar or tasks.

Or maybe there is a third party application?

I've had some decent results with groupcal
http://www.snerdware.com/groupcal/

If Omni syncs with iCal, group cal could sync with exchange.

One of the things I love about omni is they are mac centered.

I had some bad experiences with GroupCal, even got a refund. And i still do not know why Entourage does not sync tasks with an Exchange Server...

That would require hacking into WebDAV to get to the accounts themselves and then read-write capability for the calendar.
It sounds like something pretty tedious to implement.
Entourage 2004 can sync to address book and iCal. I suspect it would be far easier to have OmniFocus integrate with this resources and let Entourage do the dirty job of synching it through SyncService into its own database and then onto Exchange.

I just can't see any OSX developer having much success on Microsoft's playing field. Microsoft has deliberately created barriers to developers on non-Windows platforms. Therefore, trying to integrate any OSX app with Exchange is going to be problematic . . . consider the less than wonderful integration between Entourage and Exchange!

Accept that Microsoft techonologies are designed to play nice with Mirosoft's own stuff to the exclusion others (for the most part), and move on. It is a force of nature, and there is little point in fighting it (at least for most us!).

If you are like me, this means that you are going to maintain many if not most of your @Work generated NAs and all of your formal project mangement on your PC at work; and use your Macs for everything else. For example, I can e-mail @Work NAs back-and-forth as needed, but I mostly manually update status on my MBP when it is worth the time and effort to do so (i.e. is it worth the time and effor to do the double data entry?).

It is an irritant not being able to do everything on my Macs, but I would have to find another job that is Mac-friendly to do so. I am not quitting an otherwise perfectly fine job to correct an irritating GTD workflow problem, nor am I expecting Omni to fix platform problems of Microsoft's design.

I think the solution now is to move to Intel-based Mac laptop and run Outlook under Parallels, unless Mickeysoft finally decides to make Entourage into a real Exchange client.