The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Make outline in the Notes field? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to make an outline in the Notes field? I habitually organize by outline. It would be very helpful to be able to keep notes for Projects (and Actions) in an outline.

I use the notes field in a project to quickly order general milestones for the project. I mainly use the notes field in a task to document updates or to hold additional information pertaining to the specific tasks. I am not sure how detailed you want an outline to be.

The notes field offers a place to write simple notes or link/attach files. Complex outlines could be linked to instead of specifically written in the notes field. Evernote is a good solution I use to link to files I need available on all my devices.

I agree with Dale - I usually only put quick notes in task notes: websites, email addresses, phone numbers - things that, by not having handy, may delay me when I want to complete the task. Evernote is much better for lengthy notes that you may want to reference and keep around beyond the lifetime of the task. The task note will essentially disappear once complete.

What I have found useful, however, is accruing notes on my repeating tasks: information, quotes, or other little motivators to keep me completing these frequent tasks that may get boring. For example, I have a monthly task to calibrate my MacBook Air battery, for longevities sake. Inside the task, I have the following note:
For optimal battery life, it is vital that you 'condition' the battery regularly. Once every 4-6 weeks, ensure that the battery is fully charged (97 to 100%) and then disconnect the MagSafe, and run it until you receive the 'low battery' warning. Shut the machine down, then reconnect it to the MagSafe and do not use the machine until the MagSafe's charge indicator LED turns green.