The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Templates after the fact Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a series of OO3 documents that I created months ago. In trying to learn more and harness the full power of OOPro, I have since created a template to use for similar documents, complete with fancy styles, some relevant scripts and a document-specific toolbar. I can now create new docs based on this template!

But what about the ones I created before I made this template? Is there any way to associate a template with an existing document? Or am I doomed to just have to cut/paste from the old doc into a new template-based doc?

You should be able to open that document and then use File > Save as Template... from the main menu. The save panel will be pointed at your OO templates folder when it comes up, too.

Hmm, I don't think I explained myself adequately.

I don't want to save a document as a template; I already have a template set up.

What I want to do is take a document I created several months ago and make it an instance of a template I created just a few weeks ago. New documents I can easily use New From Template to create, but what about documents I created before making my template? Is there any way to tell OO that they should be based on my template, even though they were created before I made it?

(Hope that clears it up.)

Ah, I see. There isn't a built-in way to do that. Out of curiosity what would you want to happen? Copy over just the styling? Copy over additional columns? What if your document has extra columns -- seems like you wouldn't want to remove them, but maybe you do.

All of this is possible with AppleScript; you might log a request at <omnioutliner@omnigroup.com> for us to write one as an add-on.

I suppose the biggest reason why I want to do this is because the template I've created has a document-specific toolbar containing some relevant AppleScripts and I would prefer to just open up older documents and say "Violà! You are now based on that template!" and have the toolbar automatically updated rather than have to manually set the toolbars in the 20+ documents I created before I clued into Templates.

All of the docs have the same number of columns and the same styles, so that's not really an issue.