The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Separating Home from Work items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm a bit baffled to why there isn't more of an outcry to being able to separate Home actions from Work actions. When I am at work, I want to only see work projects/contexts. When I am at Home, I only want to see Home projects/contexts. To me this seems like a basic part of working with GTD in OmniFocus. But I live in my own private Idaho. :)

I realize I am not the end all and be all of how OmniFocus should be used. I do wonder how many people are using OmniFocus for work and home, or if they just use it for work, or if people don't want separation between work and home.

Anyway, two solutions for being able to separate work items from home items.

1. Create project folders called Home & Work. Inside each of these folders are projects that a person works on at Home and at Work. A user then uses the focus button to focus on the Home projects & Work projects.
Benefits:
• A user can use the same contexts for both work & home. (i.e. Computer, Errands)

Drawbacks:
• iPhone doesn't focus.
• Can be a lot of focusing and unfocusing... especially if you want to focus on a project in the home folder or the work folder, then want to go back to focusing on all work projects.

2. Create Nested Contexts.
Home Context
-computer context
-errands context

Work Context
-computer context
-errands context
Benefits:
• Will work on the iPhone.

Drawbacks:
• Duplicate contexts must be created.
• Actions can accidentally be assigned to a wrong context. User thinks action was assigned to Home -> Computer, when context was assigned to Work -> Computer.

These are the two ways I see of separating Work from Home. If anyone has other suggestions, please post. Would also like to know how people use OmniFocus? Just for work? For work and home but don't want separation between the two?

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2008-07-23 at 09:24 AM..