The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cannot set-up Clip-O-Tron on 10.6. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I must be doing something wrong, because I have the same set-up on my notebook and cannot get it to work here.

I updated to 10.6. Then updated OF and installed the Clip-O-Tron. When I try to set-up the Clippings Shortcut, I get the following error: Mac OS X requires restarting other applications before they will use the new keyboard shortcut.

Yet, it never get to record the actual shortcut. Even though I have restarted mail, OF in different sequences, I cannot get it work.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciate it! Thanks a lot. Marin.

I have the same issue, when I try to set up a clippings shortcut. OS X 10.6.2, OF 1.7.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
I must be doing something wrong, because I have the same set-up on my notebook and cannot get it to work here.

I updated to 10.6. Then updated OF and installed the Clip-O-Tron. When I try to set-up the Clippings Shortcut, I get the following error: Mac OS X requires restarting other applications before they will use the new keyboard shortcut.

Yet, it never get to record the actual shortcut. Even though I have restarted mail, OF in different sequences, I cannot get it work.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciate it! Thanks a lot. Marin.
Guys, nobody with any idea? I really need this to work. It's the basis of my workflow. Thanks a lot. Martin.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure you've tried the steps in this sticky thread.

Just to double-check everything:
You have OmniFocus 1.7.5 installed, and the clip-o-tron has been installed from that version of the application?
The clipping shortcut you've specified in OmniFocus' preferences isn't already in use by Mail or some other application?

If those are both true, compare what you see in OmniFocus' preferences against what you see in the "services" section of the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. Does your chosen shortcut appear in both locations?

Thanks Brian. I'm still having problems. When I try to record my clippings shortcut into the "click to record shortcut" field, I get "Mac OS X requires restarting other applications before they will use the new keyboard shortcut" and my shortcut (F2) never gets recorded.

I've restarted everything, including the entire computer, and still can't make the clippings work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Just a comment: you're always going to get the message about "Mac OS X requires restarting other applications" even when it is successful.

F2 doesn't work as a keyboard shortcut for me under Snow Leopard. The shortcut recorder shows that it has recorded it, but it doesn't appear in the Services menu or the Keyboard System Preferences pane (the previous shortcut does), and it doesn't work. F8 however does work. Maybe F2 is already reserved by something?

I think my advice would be to try a key combination known to work for someone else (like F8, or cmd-shift-,) and see if you can get that working. If you can, then the problem may simply be that the shortcut you wanted isn't available. If you can't, there may be something more fundamentally wrong on your system, and Apple might be the logical party to help you resolve it.

Apple's been using function keys for a great many things these days. On my current desktop keyboard, F1 and F2 are used to brighten and darken the screen. The only function keys that have nothing assigned to them are F5 and F6, so I use command-F6 as my clipping shortcut.

I think on my laptop, I had to install a piece of software called FunctionFlip to even get those keys back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Apple's been using function keys for a great many things these days. On my current desktop keyboard, F1 and F2 are used to brighten and darken the screen. The only function keys that have nothing assigned to them are F5 and F6, so I use command-F6 as my clipping shortcut.

I think on my laptop, I had to install a piece of software called FunctionFlip to even get those keys back.
You can change this behaviour in:

System Prefs -> Keyboard -> "Use all F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

No additional software required.

I'm running into the same problem: all I see is "Mac OS X requires restarting other applications". The shortcuts I enter never appear in the clipping preferences dialogue, and I therefore never know if it works upon entry. After closing Preferences, none of the shortcuts have worked when tested (and they still do not appear in the preferences dialogue). I've tried many different shortcuts, including some that are certainly not existing shortcuts, and I can't get any to appear in the dialogue or to clip content from any application. Ideas?
-Thanks

I'm having an identical problem to Ben and the original poster. I've done some searching through Mac forums and haven't come across a solution that way. Has anyone resolved this issue through OmniFocus yet?