The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Do today" functionality OMNIFOCUS VERSUS THINGS Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask what sort of contexts you use in this approach?

Toby

I think most of us think of contexts in terms of location. We can also use contexts in terms of people.

I have a context for particular people that I need to consult with on a weekly basis. If there's a questions for my accountant, I put it in my @accountant context. So during my next appointment, I can bring up some issues that I wanted to discuss.

I was listening to a GTD Virtual Study Group podcast on how people use contexts. One person on the podcast said he had contexts for the most heavily used programs that he worked on.

He had an @online context to focus on Google searches and research online. There was an @amazon context to look for things to shop for. There was an @Excel context for times when the person wanted to focus exclusively on Excel work.

He reasoned that he would try to quit all the programs that was running on his Mac. Then he would launch Microsoft Excel and focus on Excel work only. He resisted leaving other programs open that may distract him (instant messaging, web browser, etc.).

So there are many different uses for contexts in your life.

I think it is often also helpful to consider effort and priority when breaking out your contexts. For example, writing for my work takes a lot of effort and attention for me, so I have a context with things to write when I’m ready to devote that kind of effort. Writing is also a priority for me to keep up on, so I keep that context near the top of the context list. Lower down are the other kinds of work I have to do, calls, other computer things I have to do, errands, then things I want to read.