The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backup Cleanup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I also use hazel for years now and with it it's not a mayor issue. But I itches me from a more philosophical point: GTD and GTD tools should help me organize, not add needless clutter I have to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
I also use hazel for years now and with it it's not a mayor issue. But I itches me from a more philosophical point: GTD and GTD tools should help me organize, not add needless clutter I have to manage.
Hmm... so your physical files auto-purge themselves yearly, after evaluating which would be useful to conserve and which not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Hmm... so your physical files auto-purge themselves yearly, after evaluating which would be useful to conserve and which not?
I decide how long I think my backups should go back in time and in which interval they should take place. After I did that the whole process is automated. That's why we have computers, to automate tasks, don't we? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
I decide how long I think my backups should go back in time and in which interval they should take place. After I did that the whole process is automated. That's why we have computers, to automate tasks, don't we? :)
I think a point that was made by whpalmer in another thread is that there's always some amount of decision that needs to be made by the user. If you're comfortable with selecting which backups to keep based solely on time, of course it makes sense to automate. However, IMHO, an advantage of electronic media is that there are very few limits to storage capabilities. While I go through my physical filing system yearly and take a look at each folder to decide whether it should stay in the system for future reference or can be disposed of (a task that cannot be automated, since it requires decision-making), I find it very convenient to keep unlimited archives of my OF database without having to worry about deleting something I might one day need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
It's not solely by time, but it is easy and sufficient in the most cases, especially when the object in question was created by an automated, time based criteria in the first place.

Storage space is virtually limitless and dirt cheap when you think about local hard drive storage. But I also use more limited storage solutions, e.g. online backup and I applaud every app that doesn't generate content that grows limitless in the background and that doesn't need special backup rules and/or extra applications like Hazel.
It's like the "Move Old Data to Archive" command. I don't *need* that. I could leave it in OF forever, there's no performance reason to remove these projects.

I also see you point archiving forever, but I never treated my OF files as project documentation needed later for reference.†

A "Remove Backups older than 1 Week|1 Month|1 Year" dropdown shouldn't exactly be rocket science delaying further features by months, or at least this is my impression. But I'm no CS mayor either. ;)

† edit: On a second thought I've done so, but I exported just the project and used a plain text file (taskpaper) which goes with the rest of the project documentation.

Last edited by Schlaefer; 2010-10-24 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: typos;

I'm not sure I get why this has to be 'one or the other'. I stuff OmniFocus with audio, pics, attachments, etc. and the backups are not insignificant. As I already have software that backups up everything on my various computers to a server every 24 hours, the option to set 'keep backups for [ ] days' within OF would be very welcome. As it is, and because I'm too lazy to clean up after OF more than every few months, I'm keeping horrendous quantities of local backups as well as archiving copies of those backups!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-10-24 at 07:28 AM..

+1

I want "set it and forget it" control of backup retention and removal

Last edited by johnrover; 2010-11-01 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: clarity

Reminder: to request features, email the support ninjas; we do browse the forums as we're able, but we can't guarantee that every thread will get looked at by folks on a particular team.

Meanwhile, we have dedicated staff that handles email and adds it to our development database; folks should take advantage of that. :-)

I've just upgraded to a new iMac with SSD and was surprised that my disk was so full. In fact I had to move all of my photos to the iMac's second drive since they wouldn't fit on the SSD. With the prospect of Lion on the horizon I decided to do some house cleaning and using Disk Inventory X I was *shocked* to find that the OmniFocus backup folder had ballooned to 77.7 GB!

This was never an issue when I was running OmniFocus on my old iMac with a 1TB drive, but it is a serious flaw on a limited capacity SSD.

I assumed that OmniFocus managed the Backup Folder. Can't really believe it doesn't. My workflow is based around OmniFocus and it is a fantastic application, particularly now that I have an iPad.

For now I've changed the Backup location to an external drive, but as others have said Omni really should consider building in a preference to manage removal of older backups.

No question it would be one less thing to do in the system maintenance department if OF pruned its backups automatically (assuming it was implemented in a way that makes sense for your workflow). But it is a zero-sum game — is that really the most important change that could be made to OF for you, or for anyone? Disks fill up, it's the nature of computing life, and OF would just be saving you from a relatively trivial task. Your workaround of backing up to another disk is slightly increasing robustness, as doing backups to the same disk where the data lives leaves you vulnerable to a failure of the disk.

Just put in a repeating action to remind you to prune the backups occasionally. It only takes a few seconds. Or go the Hazel route as others have suggested, which costs some money but likely can be put to additional uses. Or wait for this request to become the one with the most votes :-)