The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inbox Entries Don't "Move" to Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Whenever I assign ("move") an inbox entry to a project that I have already created, the item neither moves from the inbox nor adds to the project. I have ended up having to re-write the action in the project itself. Any solutions or is there something I'm not getting?

A couple of things:

Are you just editing the project field, or actually dragging the action to the project? If you drag it, it will go. If you edit the project field, it will only go when you do a clean up operation, either by pressing the clean up button in the toolbar, using Edit→Clean Up, cmd-K, or switching to a different view. Even then, it may not go, depending on your preference settings. The Data panel in the OmniFocus preferences has settings which control the clean up behavior from the Inbox. If you have that set to require both a project and a context, actions will stay put in the Inbox until they have both (my preference). If you have it set to require a context, setting a project will not be sufficient, either.

To sum up: unless you actually drag the actions to a project, they don't go until you do a clean up, and then only if they have all the fields set that you specified. This allows you greater convenience when assembling items in the Inbox into groups or projects, because the pieces don't disappear as soon as you change them.

Oops, sorry, I didn't notice this was in the iPad-specific forum! Never mind what I said about dragging and dropping, as that doesn't apply.

On the iPad, the clean up takes place automatically when you switch views, or when you click "Done" if you've specified all of the needed values in the editor. The value of the preference is synced over from the Mac. The default setting is to require a project or a context, so it sounds like you must have a Mac configured as I suggested in the previous message syncing with this iPad.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-06-22 at 12:13 PM..